Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

OKMH115211 My daughter struggles with anxiety depression…

OKMH115211 My daughter struggles with...

OKMH115211 My daughter struggles with anxiety depression OCD. She has tried numerous medications without any luck. She is at a new inpatient facility and her psychiatrist put her on zyprexa and Prozac for her racing thoughts. She also has an underlying eating disorder and is afraid about the reviews about the weight gain on zyprexa. Are there any other antipsychotics that do not cause weight gain. She also has ADHD but they will not put her on a stimulant at her inpatient. She was recently on Stratterra and is stopping it due to awful side effects She is willing to try the Prozac again but needs a medication along with it for her facing thoughts and high anxiety. She is afraid to try the antipsychotics.

She also has ADHD. What are your feelings on Vyvsnse? Instead of an antipsychotic
Answered in 1 day by:
11/5/2017
Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist

Greetings.

Welcome to the site.

I am a Psychiatrist and i believe that i can help you with your query.

Well, you see there is a very thin line that differentiates between ADHD and Hypomanic / manic spells of Bipolar Disorder, but the treatment of both of these disorders entails very different medications. So the racing of thoughts that she professes makes her diagnosis more on the lines of Bipolar Disorder rather than ADHD. Just come to think of it, if the speed of thoughts in one's ,mind is very fast that the train of thoughts keep on switching from one topic or concept to another then obviously the person would not be able to concentrate.

So that is the reason the doctors have dissuaded her from use of a stimulant drug because this would worsen the racing of thoughts further.

So what she needs right now is a mood stabilizer such as depakote which is safer than others of its class and it will help in controlling her rapid thought generation while for the time being continue on zyprexa but stop prozac as it may worsen the thought racing.

So yes you should not try Vyvanse as it worsen her condition but instead use a mood stabilizer like depakote in the dose of range of 250-500 mg / day as per the discretion and understandign of her doctor.

Also kindly refrain from introducing prozac or any other anti depressant because it too would complicate her clinical picture.

I hope this makes sense.

Wish you all the best.

Please kindly leave a POSITIVE RATING if you are satisfied with the answer.

Regards

Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist