Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

What can I do to help my son who is bipolar? He has been…

What can I do to...
What can I do to help my son who is bipolar? He has been fine for 3 years and now his daughter is blaming him for not having enough money to pay for another school because she dropped out of school where she had a full scholarship. She and her mother (divorced ) did not even call him about it. My concern is him he is 1000 miles away. Is valium and good choice to help him at least sleep. He doesn't want to go to the doctor at all. Advice please and what can I tell him?
10/31/2017
John-Michaels
John-Michaels, Counselor (LPC)
Hello, my name is John. It is good to hear it has been so long since your son has had an episode. Valium is highly addictive and Bi-polar individuals are often prone to addiction. If it just for sleep, maybe you can consider something natural such as melatonin, which is often very effective. As far as funding his daughter’s education. There are grants and loans out there for just and nothing keeps her from getting a job. Your son does not owe his daughter an education, especially if she has already passed one opportunity up.
Thank you. He has tried melatonin before and said it makes him very sad. I will steer him away from Valium. His daughter has already enrolled in another college near home but now has no scholarships. The one to that school was already given away.
She is 18, so that means , as you said. he is not responsible. The daughter and x are being vindictive and saying he needs to get a second job. How do I convince him to be stronger and say no. He worries that daughter will not visit him at all. Sad.
Love cannot be bought. If the only way he can get her to love him is to pay for her college , He is not being loved. He is being used. On the same token, you must realize she is his daughter and his responsibility, not yours. It is his choice to make.
John-Michaels
John-Michaels, Counselor (LPC)
John-Michaels
John-Michaels
John-Michaels, Counselor (LPC)