Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

I have anxiety disorder and panic attacks. Lately when I get…

I have anxiety disorder and...
I have anxiety disorder and panic attacks. Lately when I get worked up or irritated if I yell or feel anger I almost instantly get a dizzy feeling like I will faint or something. One of my biggest symptoms is the feeling like any minute I may faint and that always makes things worse. I am worried something more physical is going on and I am ignoring that just thinking it is my anxiety. Should I be concerned? Could this be my blood pressure going too high or something like that?
10/30/2017
TherapistMaryAnn
TherapistMaryAnn, Therapist

Hello, I'd like to help you with your questions.

If you have anxiety disorder, it is very likely that the symptoms you are experiencing are related to anxiety. While it is a good idea to get checked out by your medical doctor, the chances that the physical symptoms you are experiencing are anything but anxiety are small.

One reason is that you describe getting worked up before you experience the physical symptom of feeling faint. Most people who have high blood pressure do not have fainting spells. But fainting is sometimes attributed to low blood pressure. But either way, getting upset would not make you faint. It may help you to check with your medical doctor so you can be reassured that you are okay physically. Otherwise, you are describing anxiety.

Being fearful of fainting is a very common worry for people with anxiety. That is because one of the biggest fears with anxiety is losing control, and fainting feels like you are losing control. Not as much as most people fear, but the worry is still there. Be assured though that people do not faint because of being anxious or upset/angry. The blood pressure rises with anxiety and when you are angry, which actually increases blood flow. Since lack of blood flow is a cause of fainting, you are in no danger of passing out.

It is also helpful to keep in mind that people do not automatically lose control when fainting. There is a time when you feel faint and during that time, you can sit down or inform someone with you that you feel faint. You also have time to put your head down lower than your feet, which may stop a fainting spell all together. When you talk to your medical doctor, ask about fainting and what can stop a fainting spell. While it's almost impossible to ever faint because of anger or anxiety, it is helpful to know what you can do to take action in case you continue to experience this fear. Just knowing you have some control can help reduce or eliminate your fears.

I hope this has helped you,

MaryAnn

TherapistMaryAnn
TherapistMaryAnn, Therapist