Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

Ever since my mom died I have extreme anxiety. Sleep. Good…

Customer Question
Ever since my mom...

Ever since my mom died I have extreme anxiety

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that seems to make the symptoms better or worse?

Sleep

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the Psychologist should know?

Good sleep makes it better

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Mental Health
10/26/2017
Mental Health Professional: John-Michaels, Counselor (LPC) replied 9 months ago
John-Michaels
John-Michaels, Counselor (LPC)
Hello, My name is***** you tell me more about your relationship to your mother?
Sorry for the delay I was at work. Yes good sleep makes much better. Thanks
Oh my was was great she was my rock! I did a lot with her as I was the youngest. It was so unexpected she had a stroke after Easter and was gone. Really hurt.
I am 53 now and have a very demanding job. I have good jobs for years but have never had anxiety. I mean I can tough it through but perplexed at all of sudden it showed up.
It’s mostly in the morning after being monkey mind all night. That’s what I call it. I wake up after a couple of hours and then can’t get back to sleep.
I am sorry to hear this. Anxiety and grief are both tough. Seems like you are struggling with both. Your mom was your refuge. Without her you face your worries alone. You need to grieve your mother completely. I don’t know how long it is been since you’ve lost her, but grieving is different for everybody. Go ahead and cry, Well, And laugh. Cherish your memories. I would challenge you to find something that makes you think of her and visit it or use it regularly. Grief has two purposes. We find acceptance of our loss as well as a new normal. What is your new normal?
I Personally inherited my dad’s truck. On occasion, when things are overwhelming, I go for a drive that truck. It brings me comfort. Do you have any Momentos of your mothers such as my dad’s truck.
Helllo! I hope I was a help to you. If I was, would you do me a favor? Would you please rate my answer so I can receive credit for it?
Well I was hoping for some meds or something I think I grieved enough. But thanks for trying to help!
I am sorry. I sent that last statement by accident. How long has your mother been gone?
It’s been 2 years now.
I think my anxiety is related to my lack of sleep.
Well, I am guessing that lack of sleep started two years ago. We don’t do meds by the way. If this is related to grief, meds would interfere with your grieving process.
Oh ok thanks I got the grief done! I just can’t freaking sleep. Please take me off the list. Have a good night.