Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

Was on Zoloft 200 mg for GAD and 1mg of Atavan to aid sleep.

Over the last few months...
Was on Zoloft 200 mg for GAD and 1mg of Atavan to aid sleep. Over the last few months I've steadily gained weight and I fully tapered off the medicine about 3/4 weeks ago. DUring my time on the medicine, my diet and exercise routine remained unchanged (and i have begun to do more cardio). My question is, does this type of weight gain take longer to come off? Like I said it's been about a month and the scale hasn't budged. Although I gained only 8 lbs, I can tell by the way my clothes fit I gained weight.
I was also on Abilify for a short time which was added to the Zoloft. Took the Abilify for only a month or so
10/22/2017
Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist

Greetings.

Welcome to the site.

I am a Psychiatrist and i believe that i can help you with your query.

Well, the weight gained from use of psychotropic medications like zoloft is initially difficult to loose but once you begin the loosing process the weight loss would become easier. So do not get disheartened and continue making the efforts in the right direction by doing regular cardio exercises but do not refrain yourself from eating food since self imposed starvation or excessive dieting may make it even more difficult for you to loose weight since the metabolism slows down if you are not eating meals for long periods. Therefore it is essential to have small frequent meals spaced at 2-3 hour intervals, comprising fiber rich foods, lots of water and fluids, avoiding sugar rich food items, avoiding alcoholic beverages, taking enough fruits specially their pulp.

Also you should also not discount the fact that it has not even been a month since you stopped taking zoloft so it is still very much present within your system and the body is still in the process of washing it out. So do not expect any hasty results, it will take time both for the body to get rid of zoloft completely and to loose the excess weight. So you seem to be moving in the right direction and continue making efforts, you shall get rewarded for your efforts soon.

I hope this helps.

Wish you all the best.

Please kindly leave a POSITIVE RATING if you are satisfied with the answer.

Regards

Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist