Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

Story short i want to see if i have any mental disorders. So…

Hi! So long story...

Hi! So long story short i want to see if i have any mental disorders. So how do start off with this? Do i go to a psychologist, psychiatrist, therapist,etc.? I know that they are all different from one another

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

No

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the psychologist should know?

Well there is a lot hahaha. I'm not sure if i can cover all of them in a chat

I just feel that my mental health isn’t doing so good lately. I’ve been meaning to get help but i don’t know from where to start. Should i go to a psychologist? A phychiatrist? A therapit? I know that they’re all different from one another. One that that i suspect and want to get tested for are ADHD and possibly OCD.
Maybe Anxiety also. Okay so it’s not “one thing” then haha it’s several.
10/21/2017
Dr Karen Chambre

Hello my name is***** and I have been a psychotherapist for over 30 years. I can tell you the difference between each type of professional. Any one who has experience can diagnose. A psychiatrist is usually a MD or medical doctor. They can diagnose and they are mostly trained biologically. They can also give medicine. If you are not feeling good that might be a good decision for you. You answered my question can I ask some of the other symptoms u r having

Anxiety, worrisome, stress, major overthinking, messed up thought process, unable to be productive, lack of organization, constantly overwhelmed
Alot of these have been on going for a long time
some just come and go

A psychologist usually has a doctorate in psychology. They can diagnose as well as do testing. You might not need testing for a diagnosis and treatment. Therapist can either be Licensed Clinical Social Workers, Marriage and Family Counselors. They practice under their Master's Degree license but also can have doctoral degrees. The most important part is how much experience the mental health practitioner has in treating the issues that you have.

I do not want to overwhelm you I can tell you more if you like.

Would that be alright

Yeah that’s alright. What would you think i start off by doing then?
Or what to visit first?

Well let me give you this information and you can read it as you are ready. I think if you have a recommendation of someone you can go to a therapist. I would see a few people and see who you feel the most comfortable. They can evaluate you symptoms and difficulties and begin treatment. If they feel you need medicine and you agree they will send you to a psychiatrist. I should have also said that psychologists are therapists as well.

First I think you may want to go to a recommended therapist. You can also talk with a university that is close to you and talk with their medical personnel and find out who is good to see in your community.

Okay this is great and useful information! Can psychiatrists be therapists too or is that more for a psychologist to do?

I would get three names so you can compare if you would like. Then you may want to see how each works. It would be good to go to someone who has some years of experience. Some people work with cognitive behavioral therapy . Psychologists are therapists also.

Very few psychiatrists are therapists. They start out with medical school so they are trained to give medicine. However, some receive extra training in therapy and those professionals are therapists as well.

Okay, is there a website to find the best mental health providers in a certain area? I go to college in a city called Erie in Pennsylvania and it's not e very developed city so i'm kind of skeptical about the doctors over here. I didn't find the counselors in my college to be very helpful either.
i wanted to see if there's a way to find good mental health providers not just any mental health provider in the city i am in

That sounds like a good idea. Psychology Today is also a good website that has all types of mental health professionals listed

Alright sounds good. Lastly what is the process of getting tested for ADHD?

Psychology today also lists Their experience, specialties, types of therapy they do etc.

Okay sounds good. Thank you so much!

There is not a particular test for ADHD, however, most mental health professionals can help you to look at symptoms to see if you have ADHD or if your distractions are do to anxiety. You can have both. But a mental health profession

your welcome. Karen

Dr Karen Chambre