Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

What is the process with this site? My mood is fine, suffer…

What is the process...

What is the process with this site ?

Doctor's Assistant: How is your mood? Are you experiencing regular sleep disturbances (e.g. trouble falling asleep, waking up early)?

My mood is fine, suffer from anxiety

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that seems to make the symptoms better or worse?

Worse public speaking or talks in from of large groups

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the Psychologist should know?

Well my face often turns red when I'm in those situations ,, that has been the case for years

10/19/2017
Therapist Leslie
Therapist Leslie, Mental Health Professional

Good afternoon and thank you so much for your message. I realize it's difficult to reach out. Please know I honor your courage.

My name is ***** ***** I am a psychotherapist in the Metro Boston area.

I am so sorry you are struggling with anxiety. Fear of public speaking is actually a specific phobia and also be part of social anxiety as well. This is a very common phobia as many struggle in this specific area.

There are a few things you can do to manage your anxiety effectively.....some of them include the following:

1.psychotherapy to learn some coping skills

2.psychiatry (medication for anxiety)

3.exercise (to raise serotonin levels in the brain)

4.yoga/meditation (to overall ease anxiety)

I would also recommend the following coping techniques:

• Take a time-out. Practice yoga, listen to music, meditate, get a massage, or learn relaxation techniques. Stepping back from the problem helps clear your head.
  • Eat well-balanced meals. Do not skip any meals. Do keep healthful, energy-boosting snacks on hand.
  • Limit alcohol and caffeine, which can aggravate anxiety and trigger panic attacks.
  • Get enough sleep. When stressed, your body needs additional sleep and rest.
  • Exercise daily to help you feel good and maintain your health.
  • Take deep breaths. Inhale and exhale slowly.
  • Count to 10 slowly. Repeat, and count to 20 if necessary.
  • Do your best. Instead of aiming for perfection, which isn't possible, be proud of however close you get.
  • Accept that you cannot control everything. Put your stress in perspective: Is it really as bad as you think?
  • Welcome humor. A good laugh goes a long way.
  • Maintain a positive attitude. Make an effort to replace negative thoughts with positive ones.
  • Get involved. Volunteer or find another way to be active in your community, which creates a support network and gives you a break from everyday stress.
  • Learn what triggers your anxiety. Is it work, family, school, or something else you can identify? Write in a journal when you’re feeling stressed or anxious, and look for a pattern.

Have I answered your question? Is there anything else I can do to assist you further? I want to ensure you are pleased with my service. I also gently request you provide a star rating for me. Of course, we can continue to talk

after the rating is provided.

Please take good care of yourself and feel free to contact me with any questions you may have.

Warm regards,

Therapist Leslie

Thank you Leslie, certainly sound and appropriate advice. My experience has been Xanax taken at the right time has been beneficial in those situations . Also I'm not sure how this site works. Is there a charge of $21 for every email ? If so, it's probably best to discontinue this . You may respond only if there are no additional charges.Best regards, ml

Good afternoon and thank you so much for your response. No, you have already paid for this question and we can interact without further payment. I'm glad that Xanax works well for you. Of course, please be careful as this benzo is highly addictive.

Is there anything else you would like to discuss today?

Therapist Leslie
do you provide prescriptions ? Or is that only done locally with a phycologist ?Thanks, ml

Thank you for your response. I do not prescribe sadly. You can either check in with a local psychiatrist in your area or else see if your primary care doctor will maintain your Xanax prescription.

I just wanted to check in as I haven't heard from you. Have I answered your question? Is there anything else I can assist you with? I gently request you provide a star rating for me so I may be compensated. Of course, we can continue to talk after a rating is provided. Please take good care of yourself and feel free to contact me with any questions you may have. Warm regards,Leslie