Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

Thanks for taking time to answer my question. The

Customer Question
Hi, thanks for taking time...
Hi, thanks for taking time to answer my question. The overarching question is, 'am I working with a pill pushing psychiatrist?'Background:
I moved to a new city in Jan 2017. I started seeing a new psychiatrist in March/April time frame. We continued the medications that my previous doctor had me on(adderall for adhd and propranolol for social anxiety). At the beginning of August I expressed some concerns with my mood going up and down. There were never extremes, just noticeable occasionally. At that point I was prescribed Lamotrigine for mood stabilizing, and a month later an increased dose. After two weeks on the increased dose, I started having bad physical symptoms of anxiety, mostly chest pains and trouble breathing. I went back to my psychiatrist today and before I could even finish telling him about the breathing issues, I was cut off and told it wasn't the medication. I was then told I need to add lithium as a stabilizer, to help with the other mood stabilizer. I've also expressed my long-term goal of being on less medication, not more. He has never once mentioned bipolar disorder, but I'm being prescribed medications for it. Do I need to find a new psychiatrist that I feel listens better or am I overreacting. In the past I just trusted what my doctor said, but now I'm questioning if I'm working with a pill pushing psychiatrist.
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Mental Health
10/16/2017
Mental Health Professional: LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker replied 8 months ago
LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker

Hello and thank you for writing. My name is***** being prescribed medications without appropriate assessment lends itself to realistic concern. This is especially true if you have told him you would like to be conservative with medications but he has chosen to add more and increase doses. I would also wonder if your psychiatrist has ever taken time to discuss behavioral strategies for managing your mood and anxiety as opposed to medicating for it. Often. addressing anxiety and depression from the behavioral angle (with a psychotherapist) can be equally, if not more effective, then masking a problem with mediations. I do think you should trust your instinct and seek another opinion or add counseling to your regimen. If you do counseling and feel better (good chance!), then you will learn strategies for combating these issues without leaning on meds and that can be very liberating.

I hope this helps and am here to chat more although my next reply will be delayed until this evening.

-Leah