Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

I've been experiencing a lot of depression and anxiety after…

second opinion] Hello!I've been experiencing...
second opinion] Hello!I've been experiencing a lot of depression and anxiety after a health diagnosis. I am constantly paranoid that something else more serious may be wrong with me. Constantly reading forums and medical advice online and not trusting my test results. I don't know how to seek medical advice for this mental ailment
10/16/2017
Therapist Leslie
Therapist Leslie, Mental Health Professional

Good evening and thank you so much for your message. I realize it's difficult to reach out. Please know I honor your courage.

My name is ***** ***** I am a psychotherapist in the Metro Boston area.

I am so sorry to hear you are struggling with both physical and medical issues. This must be incredibly difficult. From your description, the paranoia and obsessive thought patterns around another potential illness are all directly linked to your anxiety. The fear you are experiencing (around another possible medical condition) has become an obsessive though and this is resulting in Obsessive Compulsive behavior patterns (the online checking and seeking medical advice).

There are a few things you can do to manage your anxiety effectively.....some of them include the following:

1.psychotherapy to learn some coping skills

2.psychiatry (medication for anxiety)

3.exercise (to raise serotonin levels in the brain)

4.yoga/meditation (to overall ease anxiety)

I would also recommend the following coping techniques:

• Take a time-out. Practice yoga, listen to music, meditate, get a massage, or learn relaxation techniques. Stepping back from the problem helps clear your head.
  • Eat well-balanced meals. Do not skip any meals. Do keep healthful, energy-boosting snacks on hand.
  • Limit alcohol and caffeine, which can aggravate anxiety and trigger panic attacks.
  • Get enough sleep. When stressed, your body needs additional sleep and rest.
  • Exercise daily to help you feel good and maintain your health.
  • Take deep breaths. Inhale and exhale slowly.
  • Count to 10 slowly. Repeat, and count to 20 if necessary.
  • Do your best. Instead of aiming for perfection, which isn't possible, be proud of however close you get.
  • Accept that you cannot control everything. Put your stress in perspective: Is it really as bad as you think?
  • Welcome humor. A good laugh goes a long way.
  • Maintain a positive attitude. Make an effort to replace negative thoughts with positive ones.
  • Get involved. Volunteer or find another way to be active in your community, which creates a support network and gives you a break from everyday stress.
  • Learn what triggers your anxiety. Is it work, family, school, or something else you can identify? Write in a journal when you’re feeling stressed or anxious, and look for a pattern.

Have I answered your question? Is there anything else I can do to assist you further? I want to ensure you are pleased with my service. I also gently request you provide a star rating for me. Of course, we can continue to talk after the rating is provided.

Please take good care of yourself and feel free to contact me with any questions you may have.

Warm regards,

Therapist Leslie

Therapist Leslie
Thank you! This is great advice. I really appreciate it :)

My absolutely pleasure. And thank you so much for your kind rating. I truly appreciate it. Please know I am here should you need anything in the future.

Warm regards,

Leslie