Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

I am complete helpless my husband came out of jail with huge

hi , I am complete...
hi , I am complete helpless my husband came out of jail with huge ptsd and his forme alcohol addiction gets worse and worse - we tried a counceling and it did not work at all - we tried to get an appointment with an psycatrist but none of them take new patentents in norfolk - it will ruin his life and mine too - he is on probation and I do not know what to do anymore he refuse to fight the problems and told me I overreact because I am so in panic because he drinks every day starting in the early morning - and he told me it is only a couple of glasses of wine - for to take the edge off - but I see that he is going down hill rapid fast
10/15/2017
LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker

Hello and thanks for writing. My name is***** full understand your concern here. Your husband requiring we in the morning to edge off is not healthy and indicative of a substance use disorder. This is especially likely given the fact that you have confronted him about this problem and he continues to drink. You may wish to try to contact mental health treatment facilities in your area that treat "co-occurring" disorders which involve a substance use disorder and another mental health problem, PTSD or even depression. If your husband is unwilling to except help for this, then I agree that it could promote further problems both in the near and long-term. However, it is he who has to assume responsibility for admitting he has a problem and a willingness to engage in treatment. If he is unwilling to explore options with you, even if you need to travel outside of your direct area to receive them, then you may face some tough decisions about how willing you are to stay present while he allows himself to sink into dangerous territory. Sometimes ultimatums about choosing substances over a wife can be the needed turning point for someone ambivalent about their problem. And sometimes, it is the point at which a spouse realize that they can no longer support the choices of the person they love and is empowered to walk away. Here is one site you may consider checking for counseling resources who treat substance use and PTSD in your area.. Perhaps he could start with a smaller step and consider getting a counselor to help him begin to face where he really is. .. https://therapists.psychologytoday.com/rms

This is really tough and I am sorry you are in the middle of it. Stick to your guns on this - you are not overacting if you see him self-destructing. Drinking wine in the morning to take the edge of and hiding from problems shows he is having a hard time and needs help. I hope he comes to understand this., I am here to chat more if you;d like, although it is late where I live so my answer may be delayed until morning.

-Leah

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
hi thank you for your answer - he said a therapist will not help him he said he need some medicine from a psycatrist because he can not stop otherwise - I already see that I can not help him and choose to go because I hope this action will bring him to the realization that he will lose everything if he did not take any action

Thanks for the quick reply! I would suggest his therapist contact his primary care doctor if they really believe his progress is stagnant without medicine. It is true that an ideal treatment for a lot of mental health is a combination of medicine and therapy. If his primary care doctor isn't willing to help (most are willing to write prescriptions for depression and anxiety) then you may just need to accept that you have to drive further to get to someone that can treat him. In this case, I would scope out a place and make an appointment for him, letting him now ahead of time that the appointment is made and you plan to go with him. Again, I think an ideal treatment setting for him would be an office that offers co-occurring treatment and can think about effectively treating his PTSD and substance use together.

If he cannot accept outward efforts to get him help, like attending an appointment that has been made and is waiting, you will continue to add information to your pile that can inform your own choices and actions. Remember, you can;t do this for him although you certainly can advocate strong and hard until, you just can't anymore.

What is your zipcode? Maybe I can look up some possibilities...

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thank you again for your answer the zip code is 23502

Good Morning, thanks for your patience. This website https://therapists.psychologytoday.com/rms/?tr=Hdr_Brand is a good place to start. and the people I listed below are not even everybody i could find. On that website, you can sort by the issue "dual-diagnosis" or even addiction, alcohol abuse, depression, PTSD. There are actually quite a few counselors in Norfolk that state they treat both so I think you and your husband have a good chance of finding a counselor as a great starting point to him facing these issues. I think he needs to have counseling on his own - you may be invited in on occasion, but this is not couple's counseling at this point. It is work for him to target his PTSD and alcohol use before he loses everything. Good luck with your search and I sure hope he gets on board!!

http://solutionspsychotherapy.net/index.html

http://www.psych-therapy.com/

https://thepsychotherapycenter.com/

https://virginiatherapist.org/

http://www.twcollaborative.com/

http://www.kesslerpsychological.org/

http://www.edencounseling.com/

http://virginiafamilyenrichmentcenter.com/

-Leah

LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker

Thank you so much for the rating and generous bonus, I'll be pulling for you guys!!

-Leah

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Hi I want to follow up with you - we saw a psycatrist and my husband is diagnosed with bipolar disorder - he got seroquel now and the doctor said it will also stop the urge of drinking - what is not the truth. as soon as he has the chance to escape he starts to drink and takes the medicine.
LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker