Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

OKMH-VZ - My girlfriend watches a LOT of videos on youtube…

Customer Question
OKMH-VZ - My girlfriend watches...

OKMH-VZ - My girlfriend watches a LOT of videos on youtube that contains people at their worst. Fighting and yelling and being racist or hateful. I feel it is toxic to always be watching/listening to that kind of stuff. It fills the room with negativity. Are their any studies that I can share with her that show reasons why exposure to hate or negativity in general can be unhealthy? Either mentally or physically? Thank you

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Mental Health
Answered in 1 day by:
10/14/2017
Mental Health Professional: Vakul Aren, Doctor replied 4 months ago
Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor

Hello,I am Dr. Aren and I will help with your query.Does she have a negative attitude or is she absolutely normal?Any signs of racism or a very angry attitude?Please give me more information,thanks.

She is not racist, and she can be very sweet. But her views do tend to be negative. She can be unpleasant often, and attributes it to her being tired. She works a lot and doesnt sleep enough, so i know she is tired, but i dont think that justifies being cranky towards me. That's understandable for a 5 year old, but she is 38. Sometimes i get cranky when im tired, but it's rare, and i snap out of it if i become aware of it. She thinks being tired is an excuse for being cranky. Sorry, i got a little off topic i suppose.Her general views are slanted to be a bit more negative i suppose. I wonder how she would answer that question.

I suggest you discuss this matter with her,and politely point out your take on the matter.The rest is up to her,she is an adult and it would be her choice on what she wants to watch as entertainment if it does not affect her thought process.There are no specific scietific studies on this matter.

I have discussed it with her. Thank you.
Darn, i need you to rely again so i can rate your answer. Ill give you a good rating
But i find it hard to believe that there are no studies on the effects of being exposed to or observing negative behaviors and encounters. Even if they are just videos of real people. But you are the expert. :)

http://healthland.time.com/2011/12/02/how-playing-violent-video-games-may-change-the-brain/ is a small study in which adults were studied,the results speak for themselves.

http://public.psych.iastate.edu/caa/abstracts/2015-2019/16GPA.pdf is another such study.

Please do rate me positively for 4 or 5 stars

Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor