Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

I have OCD, depression, and my mom was bipolar. Is it true…

I have OCD, depression, and...

I have OCD, depression, and my mom was bipolar. Is it true when you move back to the state you had most problem after moving away you cam have ptsd and feel worse also have more problem?

10/10/2017
Therapist Leslie
Therapist Leslie, Mental Health Professional

Good morning, Jennifer, and thank you so much for your message. I realize it's difficult to reach out. Please know I honor your courage.

My name is ***** ***** I am a psychotherapist in the Metro Boston area.

I am so sorry you are struggling. Yes, you are absolutely correct. When moving back to a place where a trauma occurred, an individual is frequently triggered and struggles significantly more. There is something about returning to an area where we quickly revert back to the former version of ourself--the person we were when we were there. This is true as well when an individual returns to their childhood home and immediately takes on the role they played in their household growing up.

To best protect yourself, please stay on an psychotropic medications previous prescribed and be sure to engage in your personal therapy as well as take good care of yourself (proper nutrition, exercise, appropriate rest).

Have I answered your question? Is there anything else I can do to assist you further? I want to ensure you are pleased with my service. I also gently request you provide a star rating for me. Of course, we can continue to talk after the rating is provided.

Please take good care of yourself and feel free to contact me with any questions you may have.

Warm regards,

Therapist Leslie

Thank you very much. I had problems before moving back, but then started on medication and found a good therapist. For 2 months before moving back I was actually feeling truly getting better for once in my life and not just forcing to feel better. Then I came back and things were worse then I got through it and better, but now they are worse again. I also had bulimia in past not now, but I have eating disorder and problem with body image that I learned OCD co trols this too. For once in my life I was better with th is before moving and now it is worse again. This prevents me from being able to take care of myself. It's like a circle need to be healthy to feel good, but also need to help the issue and feel good In order to be able to do that. I am on Prozac, but missed a few doses in past month about 4. Can that make things worse too? I am currently looking for a new therapist and psychiatrist. It's been difficult to get back into it. I was starting to think I should move. My husband's job allows us to move. We moved back cause of the good schools, but I am so confused. Do you think I should consider treatment and moving if possible or should I try and be stron g and fight it. stay, and just seek treatment? Thanks so much

Good morning, Jennifer.

These are tough decisions but I would absolutely suggest trying to find solid treatment (therapist and psychiatrist) before making any decisions about your current location. Perhaps arrange treatment for your whole self--ensure you are exercising, getting well and trying to get solid, consistent sleep as well. I know this is sometimes difficult to juggle with children but it makes a world of difference.

I don't think missing a couple of doses of Prozac would have thrown you off too badly except if it was four days in a row. As you know, consistency is key with psychotropic meds.

Does this help?

Therapist Leslie
Therapist Leslie
Therapist Leslie