Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

My husband and I are having a hard time coping with my 28…

Customer Question
My husband and I...

My husband and I are having a hard time coping with my 28 year olds behavior. We are both now going to psychologists, I have not had my first session yet

Doctor's Assistant: How is your mood? Are you experiencing regular sleep disturbances (e.g. trouble falling asleep, waking up early)?

Yes have had that saw an internist but am waiting for it to get better

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the Psychologist should know?

I do not have alcohol abuse issues nor does my husband. I have not needed to be on antidepressants in the past. My health and my husbands is pretty good we are both in our sixties

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Mental Health
10/7/2017
Mental Health Professional: LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker replied 10 months ago
LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker

Hi, thank you for writing. My name is***** am sorry to hear you son is having trouble and understand why this would be affecting you and your husband. The fact that you both have taken the step to see someone for support is a really good thing and if it turns out you have symptoms of something like depression that can be helped with medications, this is okay and even encouraged as depression can come from stress and can also be treated. I would ask your psychologist about whether your symptoms may be eased with medications (a psychologist cannot prescribe), but talk therapy can also help greatly as it allow you the safe space to process and learn effective ways to cope. This is necessary because it is not always possible to be able to change someone else's behavior no matter how much you care and try to help. But you can change the way you act, think and feel.

Can you help me understand what your question is so I can best support you?

I look forward to hearing back.

-Leah

Hi, just checking back to see if I can help further since this question remains open do to being unrated. Please let me know if you have anything to add. I welcome your thoughts!

-Leah