Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

I experience a lot of Generalized chronic term anxiety and

hi there JA: Hi. How can...
hi there
JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: I experience a lot of Generalized chronic long term anxiety and it pains my heart and chest and surrounding areas a lot and legs and arms numbness and tingling which drains me out daytime drowzyness all day and coffee and teas don't help anymore
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that seems to make the symptoms better or worse?
Customer: chronically long term like 23 years and systoms never better worse only, and its when I'm sleeping or awake or doing something or a home with family but again chronic and generalized all day and night 24/7 ive triend Prozac and that didn't seem to work
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the psychologist should know?
Customer: a lot but that's a good start
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
loss of full sensation in arms and legs and restless leg systoms
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/5/2017
LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker

Hi, my name is***** you for writing. I am sorry to hear about these symptoms and how long you have lived with them. I assume you have had thorough medical testing to rule out physical causes for the numbness and other symptoms? Certainly, anxiety can cause some physical sensations like chest pains, numbness, tingling and even affected alertness and orientation. This can sometimes get worse at night or quieter times, when the mind is not as distracted and more easily hones in on physical sensations in the body. Unfortunately, if someone has severe anxiety, the body can get used to living in an "anxious state" which causes changes in hormones as well as chemical systems and also impacts things like our blood flow. This is because the brain is set to seek out danger and when it does, it send signals to various parts of the body which can cause physical symptoms. After long periods of stress in which the body is primed to act, these changes in the body become more lasting because the brain and body have a harder time connecting accurately and also resetting to a natural state because the brain can forget what a natural state actually feels like.

For instance, when anxiety kicks in, one of the ways our body reacts is to tense up. this primes our muscles to react quickly to a threat by fighting or feeling. When stress is continuous or lasting, this muscle tension becomes more habitual and the body then loses track of what it feels like to have muscles in a more relaxed state. Ironically, when our muscles are tense, that refers the signal to our brain that there may be reason to be anxious and the cycle of anxiety ad muscle tension is perpetuated. One way to combat this cycle is to practice "'progressive muscle relaxation" which is where a person flexes all possible muscles groups, one at a time, working from toes to tip of the head. Flex muscles groups for 10 seconds, then release for 10 seconds, then move on to the next muscle group. This extreme fluctuation between tension and release retrains the body and brain what it feels like to have muscles in a relaxed state and in time with practice, resets the muscle memory so it is more naturally relaxed. Relaxed muscles stop sending the signal to the brain that there is reason to be on guard or primed for action, and the cycle of anxiety-physical response-anxiety can be broken. Progressive muscle relaxation one of many behavioral techniques that can hep keep the body in a more natural, unstressed state.

Now, I know I just rattled about how much anxiety can affect the body, especially if the anxiety threats are lasting/persistent. What, beyond the Prozac, have you tried to manage your anxiety? Have you ever had help from a psychiatrist to help intervene? How about help from a therapist or behavioral health specialist who treats anxiety?

I look forward to chatting more,

-Leah

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
many more drug and over the counter c drugs to treat it also people and doctor but my brain is set on anger they said they said wait till u get enough money to live and move out a lot too do with my environment family fights and problems

Ah.ok. So your environment is high stress for you. That is a good indicator of why your body is always in anxiety-mode. Ever considered just talking to a counselor for some good venting and help learning skills for coping? Maybe this could bridge the gap to make your life a little easier and less stressful until you really can find a new path without the environmental stress you face all the time now.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am currently talking to someone but it doesn't feel better do you think I should take more drugs or what do u think. Also I'm travelling to Europe in a few days but don't know what's going to happen

I do think that medications may lead to your best chances of success battling this ongoing anxiety. Ii also think that if you aren't feeling benefit or that you are improving from talking to this person, you may need to bring this up ton them directly and ask what their thoughts are about the fact that things are getting easier. Perhaps they are not the right therapist for you. Having the right therapist CAN make a difference so at some point, lack of progress is an indicator to try a different approach even if your "like" the person you see.

As far as your trip, first off, that is exciting! I can understand if the thoughts of such a big trip bring on anxiety though. Ironically, vacations are a known promoter of stress and anxiety. the key will be to live in the moment while you are there. Let your worries not command your attention. Instead, be mindful, which means, focus on living in the moment non-judgmentally, engaging all 5 senses in being present and letting loose!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That's great advise but i I tend to feel a lot of shakiness, inabitlty to control my arms and unstable of falling and dropping and always thinking in the back of my head when I'm not but it's like I'm attracted to my house and what goes on so wherever I am I'm always like not thinking but I'm trying to not but it's always attacking my arms legs Body Mind and it's getting to the point where when I go to a restaurant people notice I shake a lot I Tremor a lot and I moved a lot jiggly shaking

I cam imagine this is frustrating but the more you worry about and focus on your symptoms, the more likely they will be to be present. Try just letting your worries float on by. For one, being in public is good "exposure therapy' for you anxiety as it involves you allowing other people to see you as you are and challenges all the fears you have about how other people may react and whether or not you can handle this. You can and you will because, well, because you aren't going to Europe so you can sit in a hotel room! If you can pinpoint things that make you anxious, like being in public, then the trick with anxiety is to continue to expose yourself to those things and just push through the anxiety until the peak of the anxiety comes and goes. This anxiety peak usually lasts 15-20 minutes before subsiding do isn't catastrophically long. Once over the hump, you hopefully can feel yourself calmer and more able to focus on things other than your body. This is not easy work, but I do suggest you consider working with someone trained in exposure therapy so you can break this cycle.

Also, be safe and protect yourself by taking a walker or cane. We certainly don't want you to fall!

-Leah

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank u

I hope you have a great trip! Keep me posted!

-Leah

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
One thing I brought is sleep eze over the counter sleeping drug I've heard it's meant to knock u out because the plane ppl and fear of road and current and future life gives me intense anxiety sweating chest pain and high blood pressure which I'm scared with everything I just told u up to date it's causing my OCD and panic disorders in my brain. I'm asking it's ok it's fine

I think you should double check with your doctor or pharmacist so you make sure it isn't contraindicated with any other medications you take but it is probably fine. You could ask your doctor for a short-term supply of Xanax which would definitely help keep you calmer during those really acute panicky times, like a flight.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My family doctor is not giving me any that's why I went a stressless way and brought sleep eze the pharmacist said this is a great help for all my problems so yea i guess it will work. Also tjanks so much so your help and advise im so grateful u are able to help me. I know this is not related but do you know or can you help me find an adhd add doctor in mississauga canada that is able to do a full assesment and diagnostic criteria
LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker
LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker