Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

My mother is a paranoid schizophrenic, I am her caretaker,

Customer Question
My mother is a...

My mother is a paranoid schizophrenic, I am her caretaker, she is in her late 60's. She was finally on the right cocktail of Haldol and klonopin (sp?) for about 12 years. Her psychiatrist, Dr. Samuel Fadare, has disappeared from his office, no one is there. I have tried calling, stopping by at all hours, calling other facilities he is listed with, the man is nowhere. She will be out of her Haldol in a couple weeks, which is not acceptable. I don't want her to need hospitilazation, I have so farf been unsuccessful finding a new doctor that will see her before her meds are done. I got the pharmacy's records and medicare records of her getting the rx for years. Is there some way that I can find her appropriate help before she has to go through relapse? and once I get her a doctor how can I convince them not to change her dosage, etc?

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

Great, a bot

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Mental Health
10/4/2017
Mental Health Professional: LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker replied 7 months ago
LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker

Hi, thank you for writing. My name is Leah. That is really sad to hear that her doctor up and vanished. There is a definite shortage of psychiatrists practicing and it seems like you are facing this now as you seek a replacement. The best advice I can give so as to avoid a trip to the nearest psych emergency room if she destabilizes (which could help as a last case scenario to PREVENT a relapse if you still haven't found a refill source when she is down to a day or two of meds) would be to contact her primary care physician to see if they would be willing to help write the scripts in the intermediary. Hopefully, they will consent to this in the case that you have a pending visit with a new psychiatrist to resume medical management and also because she is stable at this time. It is my guess that they will not want to tinker with ehr medication dosages, especially if they are simply acting as a bridge. Most doctors will allow for things to stay as stable and not adjust meds using you as a attesting resource of how well things have been going.

I know this is not an easy solution but finding prescribers online is not viable. You may wish to use the "Find a provider/doctor" link on her insurance's website to locate a comprehensive list of all psychiatrists and also psychiatric nurse practitioners that are within a reasonable drive and just chip away at calling each to see how quickly you can get seen. you can also check here to see if there are any that work for private fees that could see her more quickly. https://psychiatrists.psychologytoday.com/rms But I would place a call to her primary asap to establish them as a back-up plan in the case psychiatry isn't attainable quickly.

I am here to chat more if you'd like!

-Leah

that was a waste of time... I have done all that .
Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist