Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

I am on escitalopram 10mg....I can't sleep at night....what…

Hi ...I am on...

Hi ...I am on escitalopram 10mg....I can't sleep at night....what is a good drug to use?

Doctor's Assistant: How is your mood? Are you experiencing regular sleep disturbances (e.g. trouble falling asleep, waking up early)?

Yes can't fall asleep and if I do i wake up soon after

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the Psychologist should know?

I have only been on escitalopram for 3 weeks for bad anxiety

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that seems to make the symptoms better or worse?

The insomnia started 2 weeks ago....I try meditation...breathing exercises....but just can't sleep

Answered in 1 hour by:
10/4/2017
LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker

Hi, thank you for writing. My name is***** is likely the insomnia you are suffering is a side effect of the escitalopram. I would advise not adding a drug to the mix right now. I would suggest changing the time of day you take the escitalopram so if you take at night, switch to the morning and vice versa. Ideally this will allow less impact on your sleep.

Now, if this sleeplessness persists for another week or two, you should tell your physician that you want to change to a different medication. Often, early side effects from starting a med like escitalopram will dissipate within the first 3 days but i not, then this particular med may just now be the ideal choice for you. Instead, you could consider something like Zoloft or Prozac or Celexai n hopes that those medications help keep your anxiety in check without such affected sleep./ Please know that having a side effect on one medication does not mean you will have it with another.

If you really do wish to start taking a medication for sleep, you can ask your doctor about some safe non-addictive approaches like trazadone or melatonin.

I also love that you have tried behavioral strategies, Keep this up as parctice makes perfect with the things you listed and also, read all about the rules of "sleep hygiene". Sleep is ironically quite a mental process and it can be easily derailed by getting your head stuck to believe that you will never resume ideal sleep again. Challenge those thoughts by putting in perspective how long you have suffered with this and that it likely has the direct cause of the medication start. Simply checking the negative thoughts you have around sleep can help remind you that you can do this and sleep will find its way again.

https://www.howsleepworks.com/hygiene.html

I am here to chat more if you'd like!

-Leah

Hi, I just wanted to check back since this question remains open because it is unrated. Can I help further? Please let me know how I can help!

-Leah
LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker
Thanks Leah - I am talking this through with my Doctor.

Thank you for the rating! Great job keeping on top of this - I hope you feel your best soon!

-Leah