Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

I suffered severe panic attacks after my son attempted

Customer Question
suicide. I now have partial...
I suffered severe panic attacks after my son attempted suicide. I now have partial Anhedonia, depression and I'm on clonazapam. Can I get better?
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Mental Health
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/30/2017
Mental Health Professional: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor (MD/DO) replied 8 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor (MD/DO)

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Actually the answer here is YES, given the medications that you are on your anhedonia, depressions should improve over a period of a few weeks to a few months however at the same time medications alone would not be the solution alone. You would also need therapy sessions with a psychologist or a psychiatrist. These types of treatments can include,

cognitive behavioural therapy. CBT is a structured psychological treatment which recognises that the way we think (cognition) and act (behaviour) affects the way we feel. CBT is one of the most effective treatments for depression, and has been found to be useful for a wide range of ages, including children, adolescents, adults and older people.

Interpersonal therapy. IPT is a structured psychological therapy that focuses on problems in personal relationships and the skills needed to deal with these. IPT is based on the idea that relationship problems can have a significant effect on someone experiencing depression, and can even contribute to the cause.

Mindfulness cognitive behavioural therapy . MBCT is generally delivered in groups and involves a type of meditation called 'mindfulness meditation'. This teaches you to focus on the present moment – just noticing whatever you’re experiencing, whether it's pleasant or unpleasant – without trying to change it. At first, this approach is used to focus on physical sensations (like breathing), but then moves on to feelings and thoughts.

But to simply answer your question, YES you can and WILL get better with time, medications (which are right ones at the moment) along with the therapuy i meantioned above.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.