Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

I drank a lot of alcohol last night and am new to taking…

Customer Question
Hi, I drank a...

Hi, I drank a lot of alcohol last night and am new to taking duloxetine. Is this bad to combine? I'm having some of the symptoms described here.

Doctor's Assistant: How is your mood? Are you experiencing regular sleep disturbances (e.g. trouble falling asleep, waking up early)?

Yes.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the Psychologist should know?

No, I don't think so.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Mental Health
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
9/30/2017
Mental Health Professional: Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist replied 10 months ago
Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Greetings.
Since how many days are you taking duloxetine and at what dose ?
Regards
I think taking it for about 5 or 6 months. Dosage is 30mg daily. Also I'm on a plane now so I will do the live chat.

Thanks for the inputs.

Well, you should not ideally mix duloxetine with alcohol because the cocktail can cause excessive sedative action if you are taking them one after the other and sometimes one may even become semi-conscious with poor coordination of limb movements, poor balance and inability to have a normal gait. But then these are rare and serious situations where in the alcohol content is a lot and the time lapse between the two is minimal.

So it is my understanding that sometime or the other you will like to have alcohol despite being on this drug so in order to mitigate the side effects of the combination of two, i suggest that you reshuffle the time of intake of duloxetine to afternoon after lunch so that if by default you end up doing a drink or two the collateral sedation and CNS ( central nervous system ) suppression shall not be extreme. Still i will encourage you to avoid alcohol with the use of duloxetine.

I hope this makes sense and gives you enough to think about.

Wish you all the best.

Please kindly leave a POSITIVE RATING if you are satisfied with the answer.

Regards