Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

My 17 year old daughter told me that she was sexually

Customer Question
My 17 year old...

My 17 year old daughter told me that she was sexually assaulted by a friend about 3 years ago and I am trying to find the right therapist to send her too

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

She is a diabetic and takes insulin

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the psychologist should know?

We have not seen a doctor yet, not sure who to go to or who is right for her

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Mental Health
9/29/2017
Mental Health Professional: Juliet Cooper, Doctor replied 10 months ago
Juliet Cooper
Hi I'm Dr. Juliet a licensed Psychologist. Firtst, you're already off to a good start in supporting your daughter by trying to get her help. When looking for a therapist there are a few things to consider; experience, background, type of therapy and chemistry. Many good therapist will be able to support your daughter and help her to process what she went through . You could look for someone who has a background in trauma or PTSD ( please note that I am not suggesting she has PTSD but this type of background is helpful in understanding what your daughter is dealing with ). There are different types of therapy and it is fully appropriate to ask the therapist if they have a particular type of therapy they practice and to explain to you how they
work with patients . It is also crucial that there is good chemistry between the therapist and patient, sometimes this is hard to predict it's just a feeling the patient has that they're being understood and a safe space has been created for them to share what they are comfortable discussing . A good therapist will give your daughter the room to have her story unfold in a way that's comfortable for her (and should not be pushed). Your daughter has had a particularly traumatic experience and she might not be able to (or she might) speak about it right away and no therapist should be pushing her to talk until she's ready. The Therapeutic process unfolds overtime and people move at different paces. The relationship between patient and therapist also needs time to develop trust and understanding. I would also emphasize that the patient should always know if they meet a therapist once or even more times and it doesn't feel right for them they should certainly feel free to seek out a new therapist. Sometimes patients feel uncomfortable doing this, but it's no different than going for another opinion when seeking medical help. One good way to find a therapist is through a referral. A referral can come from the pediatrician, internist, maybe there's a doctor your daughter has a relationship with who treats her diabetes who might make a suggestion. Also, friends are a good source. You can also look on psychologytoday.com for a therapist. Once you put your ZIP Code in you can read the profiles of therapist in your area . Please make sure that whoever your daughter sees is a licensed therapist. Good luck in your search you are doing the right thing for your daughter. Please feel free to reach out to me with further questions or concerns .
Just following up to see if you had a chance to read my response and if I can offer any further assistance to you.
I hope that you have seen my response