Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

OKMH927211 I suffer from severe depression and anxiety. I've…

OKMH927211 I suffer from severe...

OKMH927211 I suffer from severe depression and anxiety. I've tried almost every medication available, and the most recent ones seem to help a little bit. Sometimes, I look fine and normal because I try so hard to be happy. However, on the inside I feel extreme depression and hopelessness, but my I do my very best to be normal for my family sake. My therapists did notice a difference in my demeanor. They said I'm starting to look better and more excited, which is good news for me because my efforts to appear to be happy and normal are working. However, my depression and anxiety cripples me during the day even though I have bouts where I feel a little better, but not enough to function. Why is it that I look better and my demeanor is better but I feel so bad. I have a feeling of a pit in my stomach most of the day and feel useless because I can't do anything like cook, shower frequently etc...

Answered in 1 day by:
9/29/2017
John-Michaels
John-Michaels, Counselor (LPC)
You have gotten used to being depressed and putting on a show. It has become second nature to you now. How long have you felt depressed? What changed in your life that caused it?
I was mildly depressed for a while, but when I was involved in a serious car accident, my depression and anxiety became severe and much worse.
It sounds to me like you are experiencing PTSD. Have you tried EMDR?
EMDR is a therapy that works specifically on trauma victims. It help you process you trauma in your subconscious. I believe it might be very productive for you.
John-Michaels
John-Michaels, Counselor (LPC)