Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

In 2004 when I was 17 years old I voluntary committed myself…

Customer Question
In 2004 when I was...
In 2004 when I was 17 years old I voluntary committed myself to an inpatient rehab for substance abuse. I stayed there for 4 days. I recently had to sign a waiver allowing a 3rd party to access/view my medical records. I would rather them not see that I was in rehab. How likely is it that rehab or drug use will be noted and easily viewed on my records ?
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Mental Health
9/28/2017
Mental Health Professional: Linda D., Psychotherapist, LMSW, CASAC replied 8 months ago
Linda D.
Linda D., Psychotherapist, LMSW, CASAC

Welcome to JA. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed psychotherapist in private practice in NYS. I am preparing my reply and will post in one moment.

Hello there, thank you for using Just Answer. I am also certified as a drug/alcohol specialist and was the Director of Outpatient and Residential substance abuse facilities. I want to assure you that the information when you are in treatment for substance abuse is protected information to the same level that HIV status is protected. It does not become part of your medical records. Unless you contacted the inpatient rehab and gave them specific permission to release your records to a third party they would never share the info that you were there. I hope this helps. I wish you all the best. Sincerely, ***** ***** LMSW, CASAC

Matt, I do want you to know that if you were in a medical hospital and were treated for a drug/alcohol related episode that info would be part of your medical records. Does that make sense? A hospital facility is different from a treatment facility. Please let me know if you have any other related questions.

If I have answered your question satisfactorily please take a moment to rate my service to you, I would truly appreciate it.

It was treatment facility. I do not know if they were classified as a mental hospital or not. They did have some doctors and nurses on staff, and I was administered methadone for my stay of 4 days.
Linda,I have had a few different doctors over the years and changed insurance. Even if it was on my records at some point, that was so long ago (13 years). Would you still be able to easily see it on my records ? And as I mentioned before I signed a release to a 3rd party to view my records as the please.

If it was a treatment facility they would not see it. Drug and alcohol treatment is totally protected information. And to your second question, yes MEDICAL records can go very far back from one doctor tot he next if they are requested and obtained by the new doctor. But treatment records are separate and confidential and can only be released if you give specific permission to THAT facility. You do not have anything to worry about. Linda

Thanks Linda, this puts my mind at ease a bit. The doctors/third party who will be reviewing my records are primarily looking for mental health issues, I believe. They have access to anything they can find.

Okay Matt, good luck with this. I hope it works out for the best for you. And again, please take a moment to rate my service to you.