Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

I have been shy and struggling with low self confidence my…

Customer Question
I have been shy...

I have been shy and struggling with low self confidence my entire life. The more i grew up the more it effected different aspects of my life...for years now i have been trying to deal with different problems that i face with work and life in general. Such as procrastination. Anxiety not being able to percorm and do whatever tasks i have to do even simpliest ones. Deadlines in general are a serious problem for me. Also i find myself in depression long period of times with no energy to get anything done....i have been digging inside myself and searching the internet for ways to treat all these different problems and nothing has worked...sometimes i would see a slight improvement but after a while i get back to bottom and i have reached a place where i feel terribly stuck and depressed and i have no idea where to go from here...i'll be 30 years old in 2 months and i dont know what to do

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been feeling this way? Have you reached out to anyone about this yet?

As i said iv been feeling this way for a long time and no i havent reached to anyone...im a private person and its hard for me to express all this to anyone and i also dont like to burden anyone with my issues or be the source of negativity

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the psychologist should know?

No im healthy

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Mental Health
9/23/2017
Mental Health Professional: LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker replied 9 months ago
LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker

Hi, thank you for writing. My name is***** commend you for taking this step and reaching out to us today. It is vital that people understand that depression and anxiety are real medical illnesses and warrant treatment when they begin to interfere with life. They are not signs of weakness and while unfortunately there is still some stigma around people asking for help around these issues, they can be treated with the right supports in place.

As you have probably read, there are a lot of home help strategies for people who feel sad, suck, unmotivated, worried, and hopeless. Often, these can be effective enough for people to function. But sometimes, treatment needs to be provided through counseling and medication. Counselling and medication continue to be the gold standard treatment for mood disorders like depression and can help you explore the roots of the way you think and feel and also help you figure out ways to address the things that are holding you back by teaching you behavioral strategies to fight back.

So in summary, consider starting a search at the link below for a therapist. Therapists help people for a living - we have open ears, open minds and open hearts and there is nothing you can share that will be too surprising or seem unrelatable given our training and experience. Therapists will work at your pace with understanding of the difficulty in opening up and will be there to walk besides you as you gain confidence, curiosity and skills. Having the right therapist in your corner can be life altering from the get-go and can help you learn to explore yourself and the way you think, feel and behave in ways you had not previously considered. http://therapists.psychologytoday.com

Second, a phone call to your primary care doctor to talk about initiation of an SSRI/antidepressant is also warranted. they can help further assess your symptoms to insure the timing is right. These medications treat symptoms of depression and also anxiety and are very safe and well-tolerated. Taking them is not a sign of weakness but a sign of understanding that you have fought hard enough on your own and now need some extra help. Just like people need meds for cholesterol, blood pressure, headaches, etc., medications sometimes are needed for things associated with our mental health, too.

Let today be your turning point where you can finally come to see what life is like when anxiety and depression are not casting shadows and doubt over things. You deserve to feel your best and to get there, you will need to continue to face the things that have been in your way for some time now. You can do this!! Keep up the momentum and seek the help that is waiting for you.

I am here to chat more if you'd like!

-Leah

Mental Health Professional: LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker replied 8 months ago

Hi, I see this question remains open since it is unrated. Can I help further? Are you still feeling motivated to seek ways to feel better?