Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

I was put on this drug because I was very manic .My doctor…

Customer Question
I was put on...

I was put on this drug because I was very manic .My doctor wants me tro keep taking it, but now I'm extremely depressed. Do you think this drug is causing my depressed.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been feeling this way? Have you reached out to anyone about this yet?

I've only told my husband, because I can't reach my doctor. Should I get off the drug? Does risperdone cause depression?

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the psychologist should know?

No. He does know that I've tried suside 5 times.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Mental Health
9/21/2017
Mental Health Professional: Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist replied 9 months ago
Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Greetings.
Welcome to the site.
Well, no it is not risperidone that is causing Depression but it is the very nature of your underlying condition which is Bipolar disorder that after your manic phase has been effectively managed by risperidone the mood of yours has switched over to Depression which is the other part of this disorder other than mania. You see in order to manage your Depression risperidone need not be withdrawn but instead an anti depressant drug such as lexapro or paxil shall be introduced at low dose of 5 mg in case of lexapro or 12.5 mg in case of paxil, while continuing risperidone as it is. Other than this the doctor shall also introduce a mood stabilizer such as divalproex ( depakote ) at dose of 250 mg / day which will be the main stay of your treatment plan because this will be the drug which will prevent the switching between manic and depressive phases.
I hope this makes sense and gives you a sense of direction to move in.
Wish you all the best.
Please kindly leave a POSITIVE RATING if you are satisfied with the answer.
Regards