Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

My husband left me over 5 years ago. He was the love of my…

Customer Question
My husband left me...

My husband left me over 5 years ago. He was the love of my life. I have had multiple counselling sessions and I'm still not over him. I am now in hypnotherapy and on anti-depressants. Is there any more I can do to get better?

Doctor's Assistant: How is your mood? Are you experiencing regular sleep disturbances (e.g. trouble falling asleep, waking up early)?

I am sad every day. I have a horrible time sleeping.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the Psychologist should know?

Depression runs in the family.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been feeling this way? Have you reached out to anyone about this yet?

I have felt this way since he left. I have reached out to dr's and counsellors.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Mental Health
9/20/2017
Mental Health Professional: John-Michaels, Counselor (LPC) replied 10 months ago
John-Michaels
John-Michaels, Counselor (LPC)
I am so sorry you have been going through this. Losing a loved on through separation or divorce is similar to losing a loved one to death. In some ways it's more difficult because it is a choice and lacks closure. Your love has basically abandoned you instead of being taken from you.You need to go ahead and grieve your loss. Remember the giodtnes. Don't fight the bad. Just focus on the good. Create a memorial to that time of your life. Give yourself freedom to Grieve you loss.Make sure you don't dwell on the bad. Focus on the good.