Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

How do I find the right Dr, not even sure what questions to…

Customer Question
How do I find...

How do I find the right Dr , not even sure what questions to ask . I am a 56 yr old male , I've struggled with self esteem issues , substance abuse and many aspects connected to ADD

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

No not yet

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the psychologist should know?

Probably a hole lot but this is a good foundation

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Mental Health
9/18/2017
Mental Health Professional: Linda D., Psychotherapist, LMSW, CASAC replied 10 months ago
Linda D.
Linda D., Psychotherapist, LMSW, CASAC

Welcome to JA. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed psychotherapist in private practice in NYS. I am preparing my reply and will post in one moment.

Thank you for reaching out to Just Answer with your question, I am here to help you. Can you share with me what your goal of seeing a doctor is? Thank you. Linda

Are you looking for help to deal with substance abuse, do you want help o improve your self esteem or possibly tools to compensate for the ADD? The more you share with me the more effectively I can help you.

thank you for asking , substance abuse I've managed for the past 13 yrs through the fellowship of AA and it has benefited me greatly . but its not the cure all .I still struggle with self esteem , social anxieties , holding conversations ,struggling with saying the right thing . sounds great in my head until I say it then I start bumbling or loose my thought . also I loose interest in conversations rapidly or not pay attention .or give instructions to someone but they don't follow them . drives me nuts. tired of feeling just ok
oh also i've been an off and on stress eater my whole life

Good morning, thank you for waiting. I live on the East coast and actually fell asleep last night while awaiting your answer. I want to share with you that I have shared your journey as a fiend of Bill for over 23 year myself and I agree that as powerful and amazing as AA is it does suggest "outside help" for other issues. I celebrate your sobriety with you and commend you for wanting more growth. It would be best if you could work with a psychotherapist who also has experience with addictions to do some therapeutic work and healing around self esteem and coping skills. If you would like to give me the area you live in I can do some research for you. I look forward to hearing from you. Sincerely, ***** ***** LMSW, CASAC

Morning Linda I live in Bridgeport CT

Okay great, I will do a bit of research and get back to you. ;^)

Great thanks

I found this therapist in your area whose philosophy and expertise I think might be a possible good match. Here is his website:

http://www.fairfieldfamilytherapy.com/

You can also look yourself at some of the therapists profiles on psychologytoday.com and search under Therapist Finder.

I hope this is helpful. Can I help you any further? I am here for you. Linda D.