Linda D.
Linda D., Psychotherapist, LMSW, CASAC
Experience:  LMSW, CASAC
90967183

OKMH917100 my son 32 year old son has a history of childhood

Customer Question

OKMH917100 my son 32 year old son has a history of childhood sexual trauma, and is currently being treated for ADHD. He abuses alcohol, although he is currenty "dry". He has a serious issue with pornography addiction as well. At one time he was advised by a psychologist to be evaluated fpr possible Borderline Personality Disorder. He has refused treatment or psychological counseling to date. He and his wife and two kids live in our home due to their most recent crisis... there have been many, He desperately needs help . What is the best approach to take to encourage and or insist that he enter treatment? That is, I need an effective approach to convince him.

Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Linda D. replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to JA. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed psychotherapist in private practice in NYS. I am preparing my reply and will post in one moment.

Expert:  Linda D. replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for reaching out to us for support with what I can only imagine is a very stressful situation for you. May I ask before I respond with some ideas what you have tried already to support him in getting professional help. Also you mentioned he is dry, does he go to AA or any other support group for help with alcohol abuse? Thank you, ***** ***** forward to hearing from you, you are not alone. Sincerely, ***** ***** LMSW, CASAC