Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

Every time I am not engaged in a mental pursuit (like

figuring out a problem or...
Every time I am not engaged in a mental pursuit (like figuring out a problem or issue or writing) my mind goes into repeating beats like dum dum dum dum da da over and over, or an annoying verse or chorus from a song or music that comes into my mind). Why can't I stop doing this??? Can't my mind just be on hold for awhile without grabbing a mental mantra?
9/17/2017
Linda D.
Linda D., Psychotherapist, LMSW, CASAC

Welcome to JA. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed psychotherapist in private practice in NYS. I am preparing my reply and will post in one moment.

May I ask have you noticed any other repetitive behaviors that affect you? Linda

I believe I have a bit of OCD, definitely. So my answer would be yes.

Sorry i have not been able to respond sooner, I unexpectedly have a few clients from my private practice that are struggling today that I am working with. I did not forget about you, I will get back to you asap! Linda

Yes, I am free to chat now. So you do recognize OCD symptoms within yourself. OCD is an anxiety disorder that is treatable with medication and psychotherapy. If these symptoms persist, I would recommend that you see a psychiatrist to be put on an antidepressant like Luvox, Lexapro, Zoloft, or Paxil as these are very effective for treating OCD in combination with psychotherapy. Psychotherapy will get at the core cause of your symptoms, but that takes months, while the medication will lessen your symptoms in a matter of weeks and help you to be better able to focus on therapy...think of the psychotropic medication like a pain medication able to take your pain away while you go through rehabilitation/therapy to truly heal. These are my thoughts, I look forward to hearing yours. Sincerely, ***** ***** LMSW. CASAC

I am on 20 mg of Lexapro/day and at the same time I'm taking 300 mg of Wellbutrin/day and have been taking them for over 10 years. They were prescribed by a psychiatrist in California to address some depression at that time. Perhaps the medication should be increased.

Yes, it may be time to re-evaluate the medication as you may have built a tolerance over the years. I would talk to your prescribing doctor about the symptoms you have discussed here and try a medication change to see if the symptoms improve. I wish you all the best and am here for you in the future if you have any other concerns. Please take a moment to rate my service to you, I would truly appreciate it. Sincerely, ***** ***** LMSW, CASAC

Linda D.
Linda D., Psychotherapist, LMSW, CASAC