Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

I have been on Xanax .25mg for anxiety along with PaxilCR…

Customer Question
I have been on...

I have been on Xanax .25mg for anxiety along with PaxilCR .25mg since 2006 when I developed constant nausea problems. After extensive endo testing, it was decided that these meds were necessary. The problem was solved on the meds. Then, in 2012 I woke up very nauseated, weak ,unable to concentrate on anything. I went to see my PC and he upped my Xanax to .50mg 3xd,(as needed) along with my Paxil up to 37.5mg.. .I wanted to lower my dose of Paxil CR on a very slow weaning plan. I worry that it's too high, but 25mg would be better.I had started 4 months ago with dropping my Xanax down to .25mg 2xd, then .12 1xd and thought I would wait a while , then drop the Paxil CR down to .25mg and stay there. However, when I was almost off Xanax, I noticed that every morning close to noontime,I developed hot flashes for 20 minutes and was soaked. I saw my PC,and he felt that it probably was the Paxil (which needed the Xanax as a buffer) that caused this. I went back up to .25mg am/pm Xanax. The sweating finally stopped. I am now weaning again on Xanax for 4 weeks and starting the sweats. My PC and psychologist think that "nothing is broken,so don't try to fix it" is the way I should be looking at this problem I really want to reach the time when I can drop my Paxil down to .25 mg again but want to work with only 1 med at a time. Any suggestions?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that seems to make the symptoms better or worse?

5years. I had 2 episodes when I felt weakness ,sweating, and a feeling that I was going to faint (1yr ago). Went to ER because BP was up 190/120. By the time I got there I was absolutely fine. I am 82 and healthy otherwise except for Afib which is under control with Coumadin for 15yrs. Thank God I do not have actual attacks like that,only periods of loss of interest in doing things. I was always a very active ,social person. Not so now anymore. What's really strange is that I come to life after 7pm and feel fabulous until I force myself to go to bed at 11pm. I read in bed for 1 1/2 hrs because I am wide awake even after taking .5 mg. of Xanax along with the paxil

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the Psychologist should know?

Only I live with my son who is single and 46, and we both love to be in control,j and the fact that I am still obsessing over my Paxil dose shows that these meds are needed. I realize that they are bandages, but I spent that first year before starting meds and don't ever want to go back there. I was an RN in my younger day and feel that we are treated as test surverys for pharmaceutical co.s a lot of the times. My 2 relatives were on 37.5mg Paxil for 10 years and just dropped to .25mg with no problem at all. Do you think it could cause any problems to lower Paxil CR with .25mg 1xd?

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Mental Health
It has been a few hours since I asked my question and sent credit card money. Why can I not receive an Email from you by now? I will check back in 1 hr and then ,if no answer, I will request my refund. Teresa
9/15/2017
Mental Health Professional: DocPhilMD, Doctor replied 11 months ago
DocPhilMD
DocPhilMD, Doctor

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

This is no problem at all

is that all you wanted to know?

No, I want to know about the connection between Xanax/Paxil. Are they usually prescribed together? I am terrified about withdrawal symptoms so need to know your suggestion as to how to lower the Paxil CR and just wean off the Xanax like before.? Also, why do I now start experiencing sweating as I wean off Xanax?When you say"this is no problem at all", do you mean for me or you???What is the best way to wean down from Paxil CR? Which med should I work with first? I am a little disappointed that you don't think I have any problem after I explained what I consider a decision about drugs that can cause severe problems when not used properly. The MOST important question is: will a drop from Paxil 35.7mgCR down to 25mg cause a withdrawal symptom.?? The reading of people's problems in this area are worse than I imagined and have me scared. In case I was in an accident and put in the hospital , they probably won't even consider withdrawing me while giving me meds for my reason to be in the hospital. That too is kind of scarey. Please re read my letter and interpret my worries so that you can address them. Thank you very much

Paxil is used for long term anxiety control and xanax should be used infrequently for panic attacks

like once a week max