Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
14832673

I I have extreme anxiety especially social anxiety I over

Customer Question

I I have extreme anxiety especially social anxiety I over worry about everything and I have PTSD from being stabbed and assaulted I've been prescribed Xanax for years and I got up to 2 mg which was working perfectly but all of a sudden my doctor just stopped calling and I couldn't get a hold of them so that next Doctor I found is trying to wean me off them but I'm not ready to I've already gone from 2 mg three times a day to 1 mg three times a day and I'm already noticing all the things that I used to have before the anxiety is coming back and I just want to go back to the 2 mg is there any way that's possible
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that seems to make the symptoms better or worse?
Customer: I've had very bad anxiety since high school and very bad social anxiety sense right before graduating high school I'm afraid to talk to people and about a year ago I was assaulted and stabbed and I keep getting dreams and nightmares about that now that the doctor that I'm seeing now is reducing my dose and I didn't get that when I was on the 2 mg one I've tried a lot of different medications and the only thing that seems to help calm anxiety and social anxiety is the 2 milligram alprazolam
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Psychologist should know?
Customer: I just have very bad anxiety that runs in the family I have high blood pressure I stress out about everything no matter how big or small I feel like I'm just a depressing pit if I don't take the right amount
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Mental Health
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
the nightmares in fear of public places because the PTSD from the assault is coming back since the current doctor is trying to get me off of it but no other medication has helped
Expert:  Vakul Aren replied 1 month ago.

It would be best if you can take longer acting Benzodiazepines(BDZ) like Clonazepam/lorazepam instead of the short acting Xanax which has a very high addiction potential.

Diazepam can also be used to replace the Xanax and then can be gradually lowered.

The best anxiolytic would be a SSRI like Duoloxetine/Sertaline ,the problem is it takes 4-6 weeks for the effects to show up.