Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
14832673

My brother, grew up classified as special- ed and has always

Customer Question

hello, my brother, grew up classified as special- ed and has always been slower. Doctors have never really been able to give an exact diagnosis (such as autism, Aspergers, etc.) but they have told us that he has a retardation from not having enough oxygen at birth. He has always been super social (our town calls him the "mayor" because he knows so many people and is always talking). He loves his routines and takes himself to college, work, church, town events, etc. to socialize. Although the past 5 months he has become someone who is hard to recognize..he has completely shut off socially, he talks to himself (smiles and murmurs under his breath or shows frustration and murmurs under his breath), he doesn't care about any of his social routines anymore. We have asked him if he hears voices but he tells us that he is just replaying memories and conversations in his head. His memory has always been unbelievably amazing but now he is so zoned out replaying memories that we can't even talk to him. We are completely confused as to what this is or how to get help.
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that makes your head feel worse or better?
Customer: I noticed my brother acting differently around April but it has been getting worse and worse. If he has any type of alcohol he is 100% worse than to start with and just day dreams / talks to himself
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Psychologist should know?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  LeahMSWuofm replied 1 month ago.

Hi thank you for writing. My name is***** to hear about these changes. How old is your brother? Has your brother shown other signs of disorganized thinking and/or failure to be interested in his own self-care and/or bizarre or impulsive behavior? Do you have any mental illness in your family such as schizophrenia?

I look forward to hearing back from you.

-Leah