How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. D. Love Your Own Question
Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 18767
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr. D. Love is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How do I find help with a diagnosis, I know I'm depressed

Customer Question

how do I find help with a diagnosis, I know I'm depressed and have other problems I'm just not sure what they are
JA: How long have you been feeling this way? Have you reached out to anyone about this yet?
Customer: I'm 19 now and the first time I was able to pinpoint that I feel this way was 7th grade. I used to keep more to myself only mentioning it when things got really bad but now I'm desperate for change
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the psychologist should know?
Customer: I have adhd and possible more learning disabilities, I took heavily to drinking for a few months but have slowed down after a suicide attempt. Things are slowly getting better but I don't want to go back to living like I have
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 month ago.

Hello from JustAnswer. This is Dr. Love.

What evaluation have you had thus far?

Are you currently taking any medicines?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No I'm not taking any medication this is the first time I've consulted a mental health expert. How do about finding a diagnosis and medication?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 month ago.

If you have not had any evaluation thus far, then the first step is to make an appointment with a Psychiatrist. This will allow for a detailed history and physical. If you cannot readily get into a Psychiatrist, then your primary care physician can perform some extent of an evaluation, but it will not be as complete as can be done by a Psychiatrist. Certain problems can be diagnosed during this visit, but there also may need to be more detailed assessments for certain problems, including the ADHD, if you have not had a formal assessment for ADHD. The Psychiatrist can arrange for the more detailed assessments.

It is worth noting that any assessment will be able to get a clearer picture if you refrain from significant alcohol intake, as anything more than a drink or two per day may confuse the clinical presentation.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Where would I go to find an affordable and proper diagnosis, I've looked at psychologist online and each seems to have their own specialties and I don't know where I fit best. Being new to this I'm not sure who or where to go, any suggestions?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 month ago.

Yes, there are subspecialists in mental health, but to start the evaluation, it would be appropriate to start with someone in general psychiatry. There are also local mental health clinics in most communities, and an intake person can do an initial interview to recommend which of their clinicians would be appropriate for you. If you can tell me where you live, I can do some research into what is available in your area, although it may take me some time (some communities have more resources online than others). I realize that you would have said where you live when you registerd for the site, but all personal information is blocked, even from the experts, to maintain privacy. On the people in the administrators and billing staff can access the personal information.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Alright thank you, ***** ***** in Ballwin MO, saint Louis County
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 month ago.

Let me do some research and I will post again once complete.

Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 month ago.

There are a number of options available to you, either in Ballwin or in the greater St. Louis area.

In Ballwin, there is a Family Counselor, J. Gibson Henderson, PhD, at***** phone number of(###) ###-####

In Chesterfield, there is the Saint Louis Behavioral Medical Institute, at***** phone number of(###) ###-####

If finances are tight, I also was able to find a mental health clinic that offers reduced or sliding fees, the Provident Clinic. It actually has several locations, but two appear to be closer to Ballwin - at 11222 Tesson Ferry, Suite 100 (phone number(###) ###-#### and at*****(phone number of(###) ###-####

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you very much, in the meantime while I wait for a physician do you have any suggestions on how to start living happier or how to practice happier thoughts
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 month ago.

There is no miracle answer to this question, particularly if you have a mood disorder, such as depression. It is a misconception that people with depression or other mood disorders can "just snap out of it" or "pull themselves up by their own bootstraps".

However, there are a few things that can be tried before you are seen that may help. It may help to avoid or limit alcohol intake, as it may exacerbate whatever mental health condition may be present. You do not mention any other recreational drugs, but they should be avoided as well. Getting regular aerobic exercise and increasing sun exposure also can help many people in such situations, and exercise in the sun can accomplish both goals. Eating a healthy diet and getting plenty of sleep also are important. Some people find that meditation or yoga helps. It also is reasonable to intentionally schedule activities that are pleasurable, including social activities with friends and family.