Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

I have anxiety and I am in nursing school and I failed the…

I have anxiety and...

I have anxiety and I am in nursing school and I failed the last test

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that seems to make the symptoms better or worse?

Well I always had test anxiety since I was a kid. but it had more to do with my father who was very disssapointed if I failed

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the Psychologist should know?

Not really

9/8/2017
Linda D.
Linda D., Psychotherapist, LMSW, CASAC

Welcome to JA. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed psychotherapist in private practice in NYS. I am preparing my reply and will post in one moment.

thank you.

Thank you for reaching out to Just Answer for help. Do you feel you failed the test because you were not really prepared or because of test anxiety?

I will prefer texting because I have limited phone network

Yes, no problem, did you see my question?

the test was easy. lot of students passed, my nursing instructor looked at my test and she said that my sequence of questions that i got wrong is in a chronological order.
Some of the questions I got wrong were becasuse I was changing my answers
I was not that well prepared, But I do get very anxious when I am not prepared and I blew everything up

What year of nursing school are you in? Were you a good student in high school? Did you get good grades?

I just have two semesters left in nursing school. I was not great in high school.
i did an ADD screening, but the results were not positive. But I think it was because I was not under stress during the screening and I did not have anxiety
but when I am at a new work place or different clinical setting then I lose my confidence and do silliest mistakes

I was wondering if ADD might be the problem. Who did the testing? And good for you with Nursing school almost finished, will you have your Bachelor's then? Are you being too hard on yourself worrying about this one exam or do you think you might need help with your performance anxiety?

Nursing school is hard and I have a full time job aswell, but I am making it. But I really think that i need to calm myself down and stay focused.
I will have Associate degree and then I want to work on my bachelors. I am from India and I started school in 2013 and finishing my pre-requisites
I am not able to finish the test or rushing during the test

Yes, I have three nurses in my practice and one nursing student. The expectations and academics are very difficult. Are you on medication for anxiety?

No medications yet. I didn't want them at first. but if also dont want to fail school or disturb relationship with my Girlfriend
I have been getting mad with her because i am under stress

There is an exercise that you can do that involves your brain and body to help you to calm down and regain your focus. Breathe deeply through your mouth while counting to ten and saying I breathe in cam and then breathe out through your mouth slowly while saying I breathe out stress.

I have been trying mindfulness. I take deep breaths. count them. but today I felt like I am losing it. I was just not calm and not focused when we were doing our lab.

Anxiety can cause irritability, the need to be in control, fatigue, lack of concentration, etc. It might be best for you to go to the counseling office at your college and explain to them what you are experiencing and consider a low dose of an anti anxiety medication like Celexa at least until you finish school.

well are you not able to prescribe a dose?

They are not addictive, will not change your personality but will help take this edge of worry and stress away so you can focus on what you need to do. No, this is a question and answer format and not a website that gets involved in prescribing or monitoring medications.

I have heard good things about Zoloft. does it have a similar mechanism?

Yes, it does. It will help your neuortransmitters work more efficiently to utilize all of the positive hormones that exist in your brain to help you function without additional stress/worry/anxiety.

are there any serious side effects with zoloft?

Th medication is added into your system slowly and you should start to see positive effects within 3 weeks. Side effects vary from person to person, some people don't have any at all and some might experience dry mouth, dizziness, decreased sex drive, etc. But as I said, it is introduced slowly so you would notice if there were any side effects and discontinue. I like Celexa because my clients do not seem to experience side effects very often. Linda

Was this dialogue helpful? Can I help you any further?

this was helpful
thank you.
but I need to pass my next test and 3 weeks is long time. My girlfriend takes zoloft, she doesnt have any side effects. that is why I was asking.
last question
does Zoloft help with ADD?
no more questions after this. I promise. thank you

Yes, you might be one of the people who also does not have side effects. In the meantime do the best you can to take care of yourself, use relaxation techniques, go for walks, express your feelings by getting them out, and prepare, prepare, prepare for your tests to reduce your anxiety. Also some people start to feel the effects of anti anxiety medication almost immediately. No, Zoloft does not help with ADD, however having less worry and anxiety will help you with focus and concentration. Linda

It has been good getting to know you a bit, please stay in touch on this thread and let me know how you are doing.. And please take a moment to rate my service to you. I would truly appreciate it. Linda D., LMSW, CASAC

Linda D.
Linda D., Psychotherapist, LMSW, CASAC