Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

Aniety back on me panic attacks often i dont want to go

Customer Question
Aniety back on me...

Aniety back on me panic attacks often i dont want to go anywhere nervous severe insomnia

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that seems to make the symptoms better or worse?

Decades but with meds able to function somewhat normal

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the Psychologist should know?

Some of this probally stem from childhood

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Mental Health
9/8/2017
Mental Health Professional: LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker replied 11 months ago
LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker

Hi, thank you for writing. My name is ***** ***** am sorry to hear your anxiety is so bad. Unfortunately, intense anxiety can cause you to react in ways that cause the anxiety to get worse, not better. For instance,avoiding going out proves to your brain that the anxiety is warranted and that makes anxiety stick around.

Below are a few options for treatment of anxiety that can help in the short and long-term, but generally, you should consult your doctor about medications that may help take the edge off (or changing ones you currently use since they are not helping much) and also consult a therapist who can help you with the stuff from you past and also help you adapt the way you think, feel and behave so the anxiety doesn't maintain the upper hand. Int eh meantime, try the exercise below and also, don't let you anxiety boss you around. The more you allow you anxiety to control you, the more it will so think objectively about the things you are anxious/nervous about and hopefully, that clearheaded approach will help reduce your anxiety alarm enough to get back to being more at peace..

Your mind may begin to wander during the process. If distractions arise (thoughts about tonight’s dinner or those unread work emails), simply observe the intrusion and let it float on by. Bring your attention back to the exercise and keep at it. You’ll begin to feel calmer and more in control.

Square breathing

Square breathing helps regulate the amount of oxygen and carbon dioxide in our bodies, which can often be out of balance when anxiety is at play. Square breathing involves breathing in, holding the breath, exhaling and holding it again — all for four counts apiece.

Repeat the cycle for several minutes. This exercise promotes relaxation and leads to clearer thoughts, helping to reset emotional peaks.

Mindfulness

The art of living in the moment, mindfulness seeks to bring a person fully into the present by engaging all five senses. So much of our time, after all, is spent focusing on the past or future, or simply going about our busy lives without thinking twice.

Mindfulness can be practiced anywhere and applied to any activity. Consider the process of taking a shower: Most of us just go through a pattern of steps, rushing through the routine to move forward with our day. A mindful shower would involve paying attention to the smell of your soap, the feel of the warm water on your different body parts, the sound of the water hitting your back and the steam enveloping the bathroom, for example.

By observing things in real time and being aware, we can calm the part of the logical mind fixated on what comes next. This helps us appreciate things more and reduces stress and worry.

Progressive muscle relaxation (PMR)

Anxiety often manifests itself physically in our bodies. One common physical reaction to anxiety is muscle tension. When we begin to experience anxiety, our bodies can stay tense without us even realizing it. Ironically, our brain then perceives this tension and treats it as a warning sign that there is reason to be worried, and the anxiety alarm starts to sound. It is a vicious cycle.

Progressive muscle relaxation seeks to help your brain recognize what it feels like for your muscles to be in a relaxed, tension-free state. To initiate PMR, get comfortable in a seated position. Starting at the tips of your toes and working your way up, flex each major muscle group for a count of 10 seconds, then release for a count of 10 seconds. Move on to the next group of muscles, flexing for 10 seconds, then releasing for 10 seconds.

This action helps remind the body of the difference between tension and relaxation, which can help the brain identify and remedy a tense situation. As this unconscious tension tends to trip the anxiety alarm, keeping muscles relaxed as much as possible is an important tool that can combat ongoing anxiety.

Hopefully this helps! if you haven't yet, give your doctor a call and consider checking this site for a therapist who treats anxiety. https://therapists.psychologytoday.com/rms

I am here to chat more if you wish!

-Leah