Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

Second opinion] OKMH98-130 I've been very sad and in a bad…

second opinion] OKMH98-130 I've been...
second opinion] OKMH98-130 I've been very sad and in a bad state of mind ever since my mother figure passed away last year. I suffer from insomnia ever since. Loss of interest in daily activities. I put a pause on my college life. I've been sad often. I noticed my mood is better when I'm around a dog. It's like I have a reason to be again. They comfort me and keep my sadness at a low level. I have something to look forward to when I know I can look after a dog. Is there anyway I can talk to my doctor about getting an Emotional support animal letter? I believe it would completely turn my life around.
Answered in 2 days by:
9/10/2017
Juliet Cooper
Hi I am Dr. Juliet, a licensed Psychologist. I am so sorry to hear of your loss. It is understandable that you are feeling sadness and possibly some depression. Maybe you needed a break from college, but you do still need to engage in activities. Are you doing other things? During these difficult times it is still important to keep routines and engage in activities and spend time with people you feel close with. I do agree that dogs are wonderfully therapeutic. They provide comfort and warmth and generally unconditioned love! Letters are written for therapy dogs by medical doctors and mental health specialist. If you are seeing any kind of mental health specialist ( if not, this is also something to consider for support) then discuss this idea. If you have an internist make an appointment to talk about the benefits of having a therapy dog. There's a reason dogs are called "man's best friend"!
Juliet Cooper