Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

I have a question regarding anti-anxiety and sleeping

Customer Question
I have a question...

I have a question regarding anti-anxiety and sleeping tablets. Can you help me with this?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that seems to make the symptoms better or worse?

Since 2014

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the Psychologist should know?

I have GAD and take Lexapro. I have developed a fear of going to sleep at night / getting a good night sleep since I had my first child. I have a panic attack if I don't think I can fall asleep at night. I have no troubles having a nap in the day. Since Feb 2017, I have been taking Ambien to fall asleep & I now think I can't go to sleep without it. I have been doing this as I feel in control & rested the next day. I now feel more anxious as a result of thinking I have a dependency issues, but continue taking them so I don't feel fear or anxiety at night.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Mental Health
9/6/2017
Mental Health Professional: Linda D., Psychotherapist, LMSW, CASAC replied 9 months ago
Linda D.
Linda D., Psychotherapist, LMSW, CASAC

Welcome to JA. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed psychotherapist in private practice in NYS. I am preparing my reply and will post in one moment.

You are explaining perfectly the paradox of engaging in a behavior.....any behavior (but in your case taking Ambien) as a solution to your sleep problem and then pradoxically believing that you can not go to sleep without it which reinforces that you can not sleep. Yes, it is a vicious cycle, but it can be broken. One of my clients brought to my attention a book she purchased that helped with her insomnia that also had become an anxiety issue for her. I have since recommended this book to several others who have found it to be helpful. I will post the name and author in my next thread if you think this would be helpful for you. Sincerely, ***** ***** LMSW, CASAC