Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

What should I expect to ask you? My mood is mellow, sleep

Hi, what should I expect...
Hi, what should I expect to ask you?
JA: How is your mood? Are you experiencing regular sleep disturbances (e.g. trouble falling asleep, waking up early)?
Customer: My mood is mellow, sleep disturbances are collaborative to my issues
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Psychologist should know?
Customer: Taking several Psychiatric Drugs for the past 2 years
9/2/2017
Linda D.
Linda D., Psychotherapist, LMSW, CASAC

Welcome to JA. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed psychotherapist in private practice in NYS. I am preparing my reply and will post in one moment.

This is a question and answer format for mental health questions. Please feel free to pot your question that you would like help with. Sincerely, ***** ***** LMSW, CASAC

I recently found out about POCD.
I am diagnozed with OCD, had morbid thoughts, had Tiks, had medication, had sexual obsessions.
I do not wish to harm anyone but this is extremely tended towards me.
I believe I've been groomed as a kid, possibly abused, but I can barely remember anything not traumatic.
I am also accompanied by PTSD over loneliness and bullying.
This is all too much for me. I Just want to be a decent man. I have already done stuff I shouldn't have but I was at most 12, stupid, ignorant of social skills and justice.
What kind of therapist should I look for

I am so sorry to hear about the abuse you have endured. I already believe that we are good, but we learn behaviors and attitudes that hurt others or ourselves. And yes, therapy can definitely lead to you making healthier changes in your life. Your ability to be honest with yourself and identify what you want to change make you an excellent candidate for psychotherapy. You should search for a what is called a Trauma informed therapist who uses Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) techniques. Also it is important to work with the gender that feels most safe to you emotionally. A good search engine that you can use to research therapists and their credentials is: www.psychologytoday.com

I wish you all the best on this journey. Sincerely, ***** ***** LMSW, CASAC

Do you have anything I should hear in order to calm myself until I have it all sorted out?

It is important to realize that although you did not have control as a child over people, places and things that happened you do have control today and this is the only day that truly matters. Yesterday has passed and all w can do is learn from it and tomorrow hasn't happened yet. Focus on doing the best you can today. There is also a breathing exercise you can do to calm yourself. Breathe in slowly and deeply through your mouth while counting to 10 and saying to yourself I breathe in calm and breathe out slowly through your mouth while saying I breathe out stress.

Linda D.
Linda D., Psychotherapist, LMSW, CASAC
Linda D.
Linda D.
Linda D., Psychotherapist, LMSW, CASAC