Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

I am recently divorced, working a stressful job, have over

Customer Question
an hour drive each way...
I am recently divorced, working a stressful job, have over an hour drive each way to work in rush hour traffic, and worry a lot about things to the point of not having an appetite. I cycle to try to alleviate some stress, but once I sit down all I do is worry.
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: I do not drink or smoke. No Coffee either.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the psychologist should know?
Customer: I am allergic to penicillan. I do stay in good physical shape and jog when not biking. I can be dead tired physically, but my mind does not stop.
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Mental Health
8/28/2017
Mental Health Professional: TherapistJen, LCSW, CPC replied 3 months ago
TherapistJen
TherapistJen, LCSW, CPC
You have a lot of things on your plate right now that are causing the stress and anxiety. This keeps your mind whirling even after a wonderful ride on your bike. I would suggest finding some wonderful calming meditation that you can also include in your daily routine first thing in the morning when you wake up and when you go to sleep at night. As you get comfortable doing this then you can put it into practice even if you took two or three minutes at a time while you're at your desk at work so that you can calm the mind and feel grounded. If you are still finding it difficult to concentrate and settle the mind down, then I would suggest possibly seeing someone face-to-face to have an outlet for all of the feelings that are coming up and are being displayed through the anxiety. I also want you to go easy on yourself as you are under a lot of stress based on the recent changes in your life your work your commute and the divorce. So go easy on yourself, love yourself, and don't beat yourself up for having these feelings of worry and anxiety. That alone believe it or not could take some of the pressure off.
If and when you are feeling overwhelmed at any point during the day bring your mind back to your breathing and focus only on your breathing. Other thoughts will creep in but do not let that dissuade you just redirect your mind to your breath and that can help to calm you.
I await your thoughts.
As a single parent of a 6 year old yaking a break isn't likely. Over a year ago when the I found out about the affair I was given Xanax to calm during the day and Klonopen to help me sleep. I was given only I prescription of each which lasted til recently. That Dr has asked me to come back to make sure all is better, but I still stress & worry about my autistic son all the time, along with the rest of life.
As a fellow parent of young children I understand, but it is crucial that you find the time to care for yourself so this doesn't spiral out of control and when your child is sleeping you can focus on you. I do believe reconnecting with your doctor would be a great idea...and if medication is still warranted then you will get what you need.

How else can I support you?

If all good for now, please take a moment to click the rating faces to rate my support. You are not charged again for doing so but without it, I will not receive credit for my time and support. I wish you peace and hope you will make contact with your doctor to get what you need and I also hope you will try the meditation to see if that can help as well.

Jen

TherapistJen
TherapistJen
TherapistJen, LCSW, CPC