Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

I feel I may be suffering from borderline personality

disorder. I've been prescribed pills...
I feel I may be suffering from borderline personality disorder. I've been prescribed pills for anxiety. But stopped due to financial issues and the first prescribed medicine not working. I understand it may take 6 to 12.months for such medications to become successful. I'm looking for answers if it's anxiety or more.
8/27/2017
Linda D.
Linda D., Psychotherapist, LMSW, CASAC

Welcome to JA. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed psychotherapist in private practice in NYS. I am preparing my reply and will post in one moment.

Hello, thank you for reaching out to Just Answer with your concerns. I will do my best to help. Can you tell me why you feel you may have Borderline Personality Disorder and also, who diagnosed you with an Anxiety Disorder. And lastly have you received any counseling to help you to learn how to mange the symptoms of anxiety? I look forward to hearing from you. Sincerely, ***** ***** LMSW, CASAC

Hello !
my family doctor diagnosed me with anxiety last year. I feel I may have BPD because my emotions are very sensitive. Little things will set me off and I'll be upset. Especially conflict. I don't like conflict especially with loved ones..ive researched BPD and some of the symptoms match with me. Such as self harm when feeling extremely upset ( but never suicidal- it's more to release). Again my emotions are very sensitive. I feel I cry over small things when it comes to conflict. I worry alot and often think the worst of people. I have not gotten any counselling but I am considering it . I've tried to research ways to deal with the anxiety but haven't found much.

You have said a few things here that are interesting in terms of diagnosis of BPD that are worth thinking about. You expressed not liking conflict with your loved ones. This would not be characteristic of a person with BPD who often can not feel a deep connection with others and therefore often thrive on conflict and drama as a way to relate. BPD can be thought of as a relationship disorder in many ways. Individuals with anxiety however can often feel irritated, anxious, and reactive with others. Anxiety creates an internal environment of being on alert for any type of emotional, physical or psychological threat. Fortunately we know a lot about anxiety and how to help mange the symptoms. There are some excellent self directed workbooks you can order online or purchase at Barnes and Noble that will help you to develop awareness, strategies and techniques to manage symptoms. Also talking to a therapist to sort out your concerns and what you are experiencing would be very helpful to you.We could also talk live here if you would like, that is another service we offer and can help you to decide what you would like to do next. It sounds like you are ready and willing to understand yourself more fully. I await your thoughts. Sincerely, ***** ***** LMSW, CASAC

I don't like conflict but it tends to escalate with loved ones. Especially when I am frustrated or feel I am disrespected. As much as I try to avoid it..it still occurs. You are thinking this is related to anxiety? My husband especially is suffering from my unstable emotional outbursts and I wish to find out how to fix it. I wish I wasn't so sensitive but that's just the way I am. I suppose my main concern is my emotional liability which is a term my doctor used.
Lability*

So there are several areas of your life it sounds like you are very motivated to improve as well as learn/understand what may be causing you to feel and act the way you do. It would be best to work with a psychotherapist that uses Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT). I wish you all the best. Please let me know if I can help you further. Sincerely, ***** ***** LMSW, CASAC

May I ask you to please take a moment to rate my service to you, I would truly appreciate it. And thank you for reaching out to ***** with you question. Linda D., LMSW, CASAC

to recap , my anxiety is causing my emotional lability? And CBT would help me to find ways to change my thought processes ? Thanks

Yes, that is what I am suggesting. To get the most accurate evaluation of what you are experiencing you would need to actually have face to face interview time with a therapist. Linda D.

Linda D.
Linda D., Psychotherapist, LMSW, CASAC
Linda D.
Linda D.
Linda D., Psychotherapist, LMSW, CASAC