Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

I suspect someone I'm dating has borderline personality

Hello Pearl, good morning...

Hello Pearl, good morning. I suspect someone I'm dating has borderline personality disorder, a male, but I am not a psychiatrist, so obviously , I can't say for certain

Doctor's Assistant: How is your mood? Are you experiencing regular sleep disturbances (e.g. trouble falling asleep, waking up early)?

I don't sleep enough probably. sometimes I sleep ok

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the Psychologist should know?

did you see my first question? am I allowed to ask about that ?

I think a guy I'm dating has borderline personality disorder, or something along those lines. I wanted to chat w a psychology/psychiatry expert to see if that is correct. He cried in front of me, ALOT, because he wanted to tell me something personal, and He basically begged me to Not break it off w him After He told me. At this point, we Only knew each other about 3 WEEKS (20-21 days!). He barely even Knew me at this point! he introduced me to his daughters within 2-3 weeks of knowing him as well, which I voiced that I thought it was TOO Early for that, but he insisted. Then about 1 week and a Half later, he sends me a text saying that he thinks I'm so sweet and pretty, etc...but that I look too much like his 'sister'. I saw several pictures of his Sister- I look NOTHING like her. I told him that must just be an excuse. and basically told him, if that's how you feel, have a nice life and good luck to you. and then he seemed Panicked that I would never speak to him or see him again. After this he kept trying to text me, then call me, then see me?? I'm baffled. I've never experienced something like this and was hoping for guidance from an expert.....?

8/26/2017
Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist

Greetings.

Welcome to the site.

I am a Psychiatrist and i believe i can help you with your query.

Well, you see it is too short a period that you have spent with this person that nothing much could be gained from your experience with him other than what you have mentioned above. He could be borderline personality or even cluster b personality ( which includes anti social, narcissistic personalities other than borderline in it ) all you know but the information about his traits is too less to define his personality. However, he does come across as someone who has low self esteem and insecurities about abandonment and co-dependency over others which could have been formed out of a depressed state of mind. As i said before you had spent very little time with him to know him well enough. Perhaps out of his shear insecurity and low self esteem he had been coming onto you a bit strong and that has repulsed you about his persona. Having said that if his behavior makes you uncomfortable and there is no denying the fact that he has shown some bizarre behavior ( because of his underlying depression maybe ) in the initial few days that you have started this relationship, so you have your reasons to distance yourself from him.
Now the point is whether you have courage and will to spend some more time with him to know him better or do you think that his demeanor has rubbed you the wrong way and there is a sense of pressure in your mind about what would be his next uncomfortable move

I hope this makes sense.

Wish you all the best.

Please kindly leave a POSITIVE RATING if you are satisfied with the answer.

Regards

Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist