Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

OKMH820211 I am suffering from terrible health anxiety. I am…

OKMH820211 I am suffering from...

OKMH820211 I am suffering from terrible health anxiety. I am currently unwell with a virus and I am constantly checking my symptoms and I can't stop looking things up on the internet. I know it is just a virus and that I will get better but I am just finding it really tough at the moment to focus on anything else. Any tips?

Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
8/21/2017
Juliet Cooper
Hi, welcome to Just Answer. I am Dr. Juliet, and am a licensed psychologist. Are you still looking for someone to respond via message? If so, I am happy to support you.
please, thanks
Sorry to hear you are not feeling well! It does sound like you will be on the mend soon. When you are under the weather it is not surprising that you are more emotionally vulnerable as well. It sounds like your anxiety is getting the best of you right now. A few thoughts...please do not go on the Internet! Every doctor will tell you this. There is endless information that might not be correct or does not fit your situation. It is not helpful to read about endless what ifs. Stop yourself and do something else. Distract yourself while you are at home with other activities. If you are feeling up to it read a book or magazine, clean out a drawer or organize things in your home. If this is too much then watch a funny light movie or TV series, Netflix has great series, check it out. The emphasis is on distraction and refocusing your energy and keep it light! Also, if you need reassurance give your doctor a call and discuss how you are feeling. This assurance from someone you know will be valuable and help to ground your anxiety. You can even write down what your doctor says and reread it if you start to feel stressed out. Do you live alone? You can call a friend and just connect, human connections reduce anxiety. Hope this is helpful, let me know.
Thanks. It is worst at night when the lights are out and my wife goes to sleep. I find it really hard not to ruminate over how I am feeling. Very frustrating!
It is very common for anxiety to be intensified at night and particularly in the dark. A few thoughts, go to bed only when you are tired to avoid lying awake and ruminating. Read in bed to make you drowsy. Develop an evening routine that reducers anxiety i.e. Avoid computer and social media, take a shower or bath, listen to music etc. once in bed focus your thoughts on minor things and visual just mundane activities i.e. Picture yourself taking a walk or buying groceries. These are easy thoughts and they will keep you away from ruminating. It will take some practice, but you will be able to do it over time! Feel better soon.
Juliet Cooper
thank you
Feel free to reach out to me in the future if you need further support. Please consider giving me a rating.
Juliet Cooper
Juliet Cooper
Juliet Cooper, Doctor