Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

My brother is bipolar with paranoid tendencies and substance…

Customer Question
My brother is bipolar with...
My brother is bipolar with paranoid tendencies and substance abuse. He has had a particularly bad episode over the past 5 days. He is talking to himself, breaking things, telling everyone we are stealing his stuff, stranding vehicles (3), not sleeping, and he started a field fire. He has had a total break from reality. Many people comment that we should get him help. After 20 years of this I know it is not that easy. He doesn't know anything is wrong with him when he is in this state and remembers little of it during his short periods of "normalness". He knows his name, state, president, ect. so he would likely not fail an evaluation. I would rather not involve the police, even though he is not aggressive, because they are not trained for this. We have never been able to get anyone to help (police, couselors, doctors) because they fear a civil rights lawsuit. We are in IL. Is there anything we can do you force him into treatment? I asked the same question earlier but would like a couple different answers so I can show people that our hands are basically tied, if I am correct.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Mental Health
Answered in 1 day by:
8/12/2017
Mental Health Professional: LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker replied 1 year ago
LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker

Hi, thanks for writing. I am sorry your family is going through this. You absolutely can petition for your brother to be involuntarily hospitalized/emergency evaluation and at this point, it is probably the ideal thing to do. Any person is able to file petition in the courts, however, the documentation is difficult and needs to be PRECISE in order to be accepted. Because of this, you are best off engaging the police or a local psychiatric emergency room team for help completing the documentation. I know you don't want to involve the police, but the goal is to get him to the hospital safely and to have the paperwork completed in a timely and accurate fashion so the court can make a expedient decision to get your brother the help he needs. While he may be angry at first, you should know this is the nature of his disorder and if he had clarity, he would know your hearty and mind were in the right place and it had to be done.

You can read more here but I recommended just picking up the phone and asking the police for their guidance/hep or calling your nearest psych emergency from and asking for their help on what steps you should take now.

Here is the petition which will be filed in court... http://www.dhs.state.il.us/onenetlibrary/12/documents/Forms/IL462-2005.pdf

You can read more here..

https://www.illinois.gov/sites/gac/LAS/Pages/mhdo-indx.aspx

INPATIENT COMMITMENT 405 ILL. COMP. STAT. 5/3-701(a). Any person 18 years of age or older may execute a petition asserting that another person is subject to involuntary admission on an inpatient basis. OUTPATIENT COMMITMENT 405 ILL. COMP. STAT. 5/3-751(a). Any person 18 years of age or older may execute a petition asserting that another person is subject to involuntary admission on an outpatient basis. EMERGENCY EVALUATION 405 ILL. COMP. STAT. 5/3-601(a). When a person is asserted to be subject to involuntary admission on an inpatient basis and in such a condition that immediate hospitalization is necessary for the protection of such person or others from physical harm, any person 18 years of age or older may present a petition to the facility director of a mental health facility in the county where the respondent resides or is present. The petition may be prepared by the facility director of the facility. 405 ILL. COMP. STAT. 5/3-606. A peace officer may take a person into custody and transport him to a mental health facility when the peace officer has reasonable grounds to believe that the person is subject to involuntary admission on an inpatient basis and in need of immediate hospitalization to protect such person or others from physical harm. 405 ILL. COMP. STAT. 5/3-607. Court ordered temporary detention and examination. When, as a result of personal observation and testimony in open court, any court has reasonable grounds to believe that a person appearing before it is subject to involuntary admission on an inpatient basis and in need of immediate hospitalization to protect such person or others from physical harm, the court may enter an order for the temporary detention and examination of such person.

I hope this helps. You can file on him and frankly, he is lucky to have someone caring enough to step up and make it happen. He can feel a lot better but he does need intervention as his condition is causing total lack of clarity....

I wish you the best!

-Leah

Hi, just checking back since this question is open because it is unrated. Can I help further? any updates?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We live in a very rural area. The nearest psychiatric hospital is several counties away. The police will not help
because they say it is his civil right to act as he pleases. His counselor will not help for the same reason.
He will not voluntarily go to the ER, so the only realistic way to achieve that goal is to have him
arrested for something...and even then he will probably pass the evaluation. The local hospital would not even
evaluate him when he had blood poisoning and was clearly psychotic and refusing medication because he knew
his name and birthday. They let him go against our wishes. It is just our reality that these people will not
help....

Thanks for the reply. that certainly makes things more difficult and I am really sorry to hear your family is not getting needed support. In IL, you have the right to petition your brother yourself. You can complete this form (looks like you will start completion on the second page) http://www.dhs.state.il.us/onenetlibrary/12/documents/Forms/IL462-2005.pdf and then present it to your nearest mental health facility in your county. https://www.illinoislegalaid.org/legal-information/involuntary-admission-and-discharge-adults-mental-health-facility I believe the mental health agency will help get the petition assessed in court and the court will make the determination as to whether or not he should be involuntarily admitted.

https://www.illinoislegalaid.org/legal-information/involuntary-admission-and-discharge-adults-mental-health-facility

So you do have rights here even if no one else is stepping up- anyone over 18 can seek petition for someone. the safety net for your brother is that the court will ultimately determine if he needs this level of intervention. I think you would have nothing to lose by completing the form and taking it to your nearest county mental health facility. These are often called"community mental health" or Department of human Services (DHS) and there is one per county.