John-Michaels
John-Michaels, Counselor (LPC)
Experience:  25+ years helping people find solutions...
68372260

I have found out that my partner of 6 yrs has been phoning

Customer Question

I have found out that my partner of 6 yrs has been phoning sex lines, we r due to get married next year but this has completely devastated me and I dont know what to do.
JA: Is this your first time reaching out for information about this? In general, how would you describe your overall health?
Customer: My mental health isn't great as I only had a baby 8 months ago and was extremely I'll the whole way through the pregnancy it has made me wary. Yes this is the first time I have sought help
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Psychologist should know?
Customer: I was in a physically abusive relationship about 8 years ago although I feel I am over that and can cope ok with those thoughts
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  John-Michaels replied 2 months ago.
I am so sorry to hear you are going through this. My guess is this maybe started during your pregnancy. I am not excusing his behavior, just explaining it. My first word of advice is to not proceed in your plans any further until this is resolved. He needs to own up to his behavior and suffer the consequences. There needs to be consequences by the way. You should not go through with plans as usual until this issue is resolved. He needs to know how serious it is and how hurtful it has been to you. I would demand at least a short separation until he proves his faithfulness and postpone marriage plans until the issue is resolved. I'm not saying it is hopeless. As a matter of fact, I believe it is very fixable. You're just going to have to show some tough love.Did all that make sense?