Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

I have an 11-year-old niece and she has had problems going…

Customer Question
Hello I have an...

Hello I have an 11-year-old niece and she has had problems going to the bathroom just a little bit in her underwear #2 and she feels like it's not a big deal and she's getting ready to start start school and we are all concerned about it and we are afraid if her mother takes her to speak with the doctor we will drive her farther away she is a very quiet individual

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

We have not seen a doctor and are not on any medication

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the psychologist should know?

She had stomach issues when she was little her age 5 to 6 I think it was sensitive stomach but I think that has been resolved

Doctor's Assistant: How long has this been bothering you? Are you experiencing any vomiting or nausea?

This is been going on for a year or so and no vomiting or nausea

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Mental Health
8/6/2017
Mental Health Professional: Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist replied 1 year ago
Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist

Greetings.

Welcome to the site.

Please kindly answer a few queries.

1) Please confirm this you mean to say that she has a tendency to soil her underwear with #2 ? Does this happen all the time or when she is either extremely stressed out or engaged in some activity or other ?

2) You said that she has been having this since past 1 year but before that was she completely normal ?

3) I did not understand when you mentioned that now that her school is going to start ? Was she not having this problem in school before ?

Regards

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
1 I think it is when she's extremely stressed out
#2 yes normal for whatever that means a 11-year-old going on 16
#3 no she did not have this problem before in school

Thanks for the inputs.

Well, i believe she still has some bowel issues which could also be worsened due to an underlying and unresolved stress ( do not discount the fact that she is not a people's person and likes to keep things to self so it is important to know what is going on in her mind because she seems to be in denial and using this as a defense mechanism, hence she chooses to ignore the soiling of underwear)

So, in simple words, she most likely is harboring some stress owing to her age which is on the verge of teenage and along with it comes the age related issues and since she does not like to share her experiences and sentiments with others, so the emotions of hers must have got clubbed together leading to stress. This stress is being expressed through physical symptoms of irritable bowel which in turn leads to unexpected soiling of innerwear. Only because she considers it trivial , this does not mean that she does need help, she needs to be comforted and talked to and better would be if she gets counseled by a child clinical psychologist. Besides this do show her to a physician to manage her irritable bowel / bowel issues of past.

I hope this makes sense.

Wish your niece all the best.

Please kindly leave a POSITIVE RATING if you are satisfied with the answer.

Regards