Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

I have bipolar Iv only been to bad manic episodes ,,, the dr

Hi I have bipolar Iv...
Hi I have bipolar Iv only been to bad manic episodes ,,, the dr decided I needed antidepressants as well I currently take lithium and Risperdal which is really effective against my manic mood ... I am sceard to try the Zoloft he recommended 50 mg as don't really want another pill in my life I real question is is Zoloft an appropriate antidepressants for bipola
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: 750lithh at night 750 m 2m Risperdal Is
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the psychologist should know?
Customer: Not really only been manic twice in 36 years mostly depressed just unsure if I should take the Zoloft
JA: How long have you been feeling this way? Have you reached out to anyone about this yet?
Customer: Sadly bipolar depression can't just be helped by talking to someone
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/3/2017
LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker

Hi, thanks for writing. My name is***** am sorry to hear you aren't feeling your best. It is extremely common practice for Bipolar to be treated with combinations of medications including ones that prevent mania (like the Risperdal and lithium combo) and ones that treat the depression (like Zoloft). Zoloft is a very well-tolerated and safe medication to take. It sounds like you have a provider who is making some sound decisions about your care and seeking to get you feeling your best. You don't have much to lose by trying the Zoloft (major complications with this med are very rare) but could gain a lot of life back if it can do what it should and help moderate your depression.

I will let you know that occasionally, when starting a medication like Zoloft,m you can feel a little worse while you body adjusts to it. These early side effects are common and may be things like headache, nausea, worsening depression, anxiety, and some flu-like stuff. These early side effects are temporary so don't take them as a warning that the med is not going tom ultimately help. If you feel these side effects at all, they should break as the med's positive effects start to kick in.

I think the Zoloft is worth a try and there is reason to be optimistic you can feel better and more stable in general.

I am here to chat more if you'd like!

-Leah

LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker
thanks i just do not want it to send me into mania or manic episode .. my wife told me 2 months ago shes thinking of leaving me and a grate part is because of my mental illness and my 1 st mania episode, was bad i did not no what was happening to me and seen her eyes as a snake eyes so i flipped out ended up in hospital , for some one who works in medical she shore is not very understanding .of my condition she also not happy with my not talking and empty's mood.not talking... this why i am scared to try the Zoloft after she told me she wanted to leave sent me bit manic got that under control with risperdal 5mil for 5 days but that sent me into a low . i am always low and empty and so on my psychiatrist retire but he told my GP to try the antidepressants. he tried to get it right with lithium for 3 years and was going to put me on them any way ... but never got around to it ..... my GP do not want me to take more lithium as my hand tremor looks like i have parkinson some days can not wright, as i had a hand tremor to start with ....so i have good reason as i am scared of changing my mood with zoloft any way i wont take up any more of your time thanks for your reply i just wanted a second opinion on the zoloft as my GP recommended he is not a psychiatrist so had to check . i probably with try it i think i just need some time to take it in bye

You have a had a hard time - I absolutely understand your caution. Because you are on a med aimed at keeping the mania at bay, the Zoloft should not put you into mania. You can start very low on the Zoloft, 25mg (half the normal starting dose) and see what happens, working your up if/as needed. And of course you will stay closely in touch with your doctor while you are doing this. in case things do take a turn, so it can be addressed quickly (not thinking this will happen) Perhaps taking this initiative to start the Zoloft will give your wife some faith that you are trying. It can give you both hope that you can feel better enough to reconnect with her - this is a real possibility if you can help control your depression.

And I know you said "talking"won't help this problem but you have real stress in your life and counseling is a great support during tough and questionable times. So maybe you should consider that, too. And maybe your wife would even consider joining you?

Thank you very much for the rating....I hope you feel better!!

Leah

LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker