LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker
Experience:  10 years post-MSW experience
25232551

I have been on 20mg escitalopram for over 3 years now and

Customer Question

I have been on 20mg escitalopram for over 3 years now and some type of antidepressant sincex14 yrs old( now 40). Recently i have been overeating, calling in sick and spending my days in bed and isolating again. Do i need to up my dosage?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  LeahMSWuofm replied 2 months ago.

Hi, my name is***** for writing. I am sorry you are not feeling your best. Can you think if there has been some added stress or changes that may be prompting this backslide for you? If so, one potential response would be to consider getting some additional support through some short-term counseling to figure out the roots behind the changes, refine your coping mechanisms and come up with some natural ways to combat the additional stresses you have been facing. Have you considered that?

As far as upp'ing the escitalopram higher than 20mg after being on it for 3 years, you actually are already at the max recommended dose for this particular drug so going up would require a more calculated decision by a doctor about the utility/risk of a higher than recommended dose (which can happen if monitored properly) versus contemplating the next move in terms of med trialing. Certainly and as you may already have experienced, these meds (the SSRIs) can lose effectiveness after some time and "poop out" so changing it up is often a good response to this phenomenon. So I don't think that automatically upp'ing your escitalopram is quite such a simple option and wouldn't suggest you do this on your own without consulting a doctor. If you do feel like it may be time for a change and have tried many meds before, a psychiatrist is probably ideal to have as a specialist since they are more aware "off-label" alternatives and combinations that may do the job for you.

I hope this helps and am here to chat more if you'd like although my answer may be delayed until tomorrow morning.

-Leah

Hi! I noticed this question is still open since unrated. Can i help further? If not, I'd appreciate a rating or am happy to keep chatting until you feel satisfied.

Thank you!

Leah