John-Michaels
John-Michaels, Counselor (LPC)
Experience:  25+ years helping people find solutions...
68372260

I'm having problems going off Xanax. I've been awake since

Customer Question

Hello. I'm having problems going off Xanax. I've been awake since 2:00 am. What should I do?
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: Xanax 2 mg. No one will see me unless it's in patient
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the psychologist should know?
Customer: Daughter of an alcholic, past issues with addiction. Have been clean since March (tramadol). Now this...it's so frustrating
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  John-Michaels replied 2 months ago.
I am so sorry to hear you are having these problems. I applaud you for your sobriety.As far as your battle against sleep issues, I would say first of all hang in there. As the effects of the Xanax wear off, the sleep will get better. The battle is a worthy battle.As far as the sleep depravity in general, I do have a couple suggestions. One, resist the temptation to sleep all day. Maybe take a power nap I. The afternoon, but nothing more. Your body will eventually get the hint.Dont fight the sleep problems. When you awaken, go to a different room and lay back down. The change of surroundings often help.If that doesn't work, read for a few minutes. Clear your mind and go back to sleep.If you sleep with the tv or radio goi g, turn them off. Try a fan or white noise, something consistant.Change your diet. Drop all spicey and fatty foods. Absolutely no caffeine. Drink lots of water.Get plenty of exercise. Make your body want sleep.I hope that was helpful. Does it make sense?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
thank you so much
Honestly, the big deal is, don't fight it. The harder you TRY to sleep, the harder it fights back. Good luck!
Oh yeah, please do me a favor and make sure you rate my response we do I receive credit for it. Thank you...
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
That is so true. This is the hardest battle. Thank you for caring.
Your welcome