John-Michaels
John-Michaels, Counselor (LPC)
Experience:  25+ years helping people find solutions...
68372260

I have problems with low mood and social anxiety at work and

Customer Question

i have problems with low mood and social anxiety at work and some social settings, when i was a young child or infant my mother deveolped chronic depression which stay with her.
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that seems to make the symptoms better or worse?
Customer: i do not have any friends , for many years, i recall looking back and seeing me fairly withdrawl
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Psychologist should know?
Customer: i do not think so , i am married and have a son , who is 9,
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  John-Michaels replied 3 months ago.
How well do you get along with your spouse and child?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
We get on ok , i feel i spend a lot of my time telling him what to do going to bed , getting ready for school, he shouts at me and i shout at him sometimes , i toil him he will not get his own way by shouting at me i do homework with him , i feel our reltionship is a bit distance , he spends a lot of time watching T.V i do suggest he does other things
he does confide in me sometimes, i hope i am giving him the social skill he needs
It looks to me that you social anxiety is not causing you that much distress. At least it seems as if you are parenting fairly well. If I have misread and you doexperience sone distressbecause of your social anxiety, take it on one step at a time. Determine a small step you can take socially and tackle that. Don't try to do too much too quick. Maybe just go to a small event with a friend or your spouse. I could probably offer you loiters on your son, but that wasn't your question. All in all, you seem to be doing a decent job as a parent. That is the most important task you have.