Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

I feel as if I am suffering from OCD, As if now I am only on…

I feel as if...

I feel as if I am suffering from OCD

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

As if now I am only on lexapro but the medication hasn't been working as much as it used to in a while

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the psychologist should know?

I suffer with Generalized anxiety disorder, ptsd and major depressive disorder of which all three have been professionally diagnosed but both my psychiatrist and therapist

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that seems to make the symptoms better or worse?

I've been dealing with this since I was about 9 or 10 and right now I haven't found anything that makes it better yet

Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Thanks
7/20/2017
LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker

Hi, thanks for writing, I may have time today to discuss this with you. I would like to hear more about why you think you are suffering with OCD. Are you still interested in a phone call?

-Leah

please
please.
I apologize for retyping messages. I'm having troubles with the send button

That's okay on the replies. I'll submit an offer and if you feel like it is worth it, go ahead and accept and we can work out a time. I actually am free right now. :)

I am also free

Great. Once you accept that offer and put in your call info, I'll call you.

Oh an offer? I don't think I've seen any or I might have just looked over it or missed it

Ok. Let me try again.

Do you see it?

Not quite. I'm sorry for the hassle.
I've just realized that I believe you called me about 40 minutes ago and I was not there. Ugh I'm so sorry

I didn't call you and doubt it was anyone from this site as we do not have your contact info. in order for us to obtain that, you either have to click on the acceptance of the auto-phone call offer or accept the offers I have sent. but if you aren't seeing either of those, we may be kind of stuck. If I involve customer service, they will probably lock the question, refund you, and we may have to start over. Is that what you want me to do? Not sure there is another answer if you aren't seeing my proposals for the phone call :( Sorry!

If that ends up happening, just put "To Leah" at the start of your question (you can keep it brief) and I'll reply and we can try this again.

Before we try that, which I'm sure is way more effective than what I'm about to suggest, can we try something else. I just now got the official app and have switched from using it on browser to the app so maybe the offer will appear if we give it another go.

Sent.

Yea it's not showing up again, let's try restarting

Ok. Sorry! I'll let customer service now right now.

LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker
Ahhh I was just informed that there was a fee for the phone call that I wasn't aware of because the notification never popped up. Unfortunately I can't pay for a call yet but we can't continue with the questions

Sorry it wasn't clear there was additional cost for the service. yes, we can keep chatting here although my responses may be a bit delayed at times. Tell me why you think you are suffering from OCD?

Well when I was younger I suffered a lot with paranoia so to compensate I would do ritual type things to kind of help ease the ongoing anxiety. One instance of this I remember quite clearly is when I was about 10 I was petrified all of a sudden that my house would burn down. So during the night I would get up often to make sure my bedroom door was unlocked because I feared that I would miss the fire alarm if I were to be sleeping with the door locked and inevitably die. Another thing that happens now is I have a very difficult time finding foods that I can eat. I find that my pickiness has become to that of an extreme level and it results in me not eating as much. There is also a couple things like this but these are the most prominent ones on my mind as of late

What is your concern that makes you so picky about food?is there an obsession that you can't shake in regards ***** ***** worry about the food?

It's typically texture or appearance and most often how long the food has been sitting in a fridge and only the fridge. I am perfectly fine with eating leftovers that have been sitting on the stovetop or on the counter but if it's ever put into a fridge my appetite for the food dissipates

Okay. Is the concern that the food is contaminated and you will get sick? Do you have any rituals surrounding food beyond not eating certain things?

I think it has a bit to do with the fead of getting sick as well as just irrrationally judging the foods taste based on ridiculous factors. Another ritual I have is only in regards ***** ***** candies (because at the moment I can't think of any other rituals) but if a gummy candy includes a white layer commonly found on coke bottle candies or gummy snakes is that I can't eat it whole at all, I have to eat the colored part first and completely throw out the white part because I'm afraid it will give me a migraine or make me nauseous. Oh and another one is with chips with flavor powdering on them, I tend to only lick off the powder layer and then completely disregard the actual chip because I feel like the chip part kind of ruins the entire thing and I just become kind of annoyed with eating. though, I despite this one is compulsive or obsessive maybe more so a preference though I decided to include it because it reminds me of the gummy candy situation.

So I am leaning towards thinking that these types of behaviors are not OCD. And even if there are small touches of OCD, it does not seem like these things would warrant significant distress. If your worries about food got to the point where you were not eating, couldn't eat in any place but your own home or your own foods, etc, that could cause serious disruption to your life and well-being and that may warrant further assessment and treatment to help you stop limiting yourself in such drastic ways. But, avoiding refrigerated food, eating a certain food in a certain order is pretty common. licking the flavor (I also do all these things but i do eat the chip part, lol) are more in line with preference and perhaps some anxiety so I wouldn't get too caught up in worrying that you are developing OCD. OCD is really highlighted by time-consuming and distressing obsessions and compulsions- more in line with your fire worries when you were younger...

Thank you so much. I couldn't find specific enough details about the disorder online and you completely cleared that up for me.

Good. Hope you can rest a bit easier now :)

-Leah

LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker