LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker
Experience:  10 years post-MSW experience
25232551

I have severe anxiety thar feels like heart attack. I was

Customer Question

I have severe anxiety thar feels like heart attack. I was taking lexapro and ativan but was getting tertible chest pain . I think it was the ativan cause I stopped taking it and havent had the horrible pain but have the trembling in my chest. Now I am prescribed buss bar and lexapro but the reviews say that bussbar doesnt work and doesnt help with sleep. The ativan and lexapro helped with anxiety and sleep but the pain (maybe heartburn) was unbearable. I dont know what to do
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that seems to make the symptoms better or worse?
Customer: I have been having this for months and it got worse. That is when the dr prescibed lexapro and ativan. They worked except the chest pain that was checked out to not be my heart. The ativan helped with the pounding in my chest and helped with sleep. Now they changed it to busbar and lexapro but the comments on here says they had trouble sleeping or that the busbar didnt help
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Psychologist should know?
Customer: I told him all of my bad experiences like the death of my daughter and son 5 years ago
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  LeahMSWuofm replied 3 months ago.

Hi, thanks for writing. My name is***** of all, I am so so very sorry to hear about the loss of your daughter and son. I can understand how such a tragedy can significantly affect your overall everything. I am also very sorry to hear that your anxiety is at such a point. I know anxiety is a very hard condition to live with. Have you ever consulted a psychiatrist to better assess what medications may work for you? Unfortunately, this can take some trial and error to find an ideal combination and for sever anxiety, a psychiatrist can be very helpful in figuring out more novel approaches/combinations to maximize benefit.

While it sounds like you haven't yet found an ideal medication combination to help, I wonder if you have also tried to tackle your anxiety from a behavioral perspective through the use of skills like meditation, mindfulness, breathing exercises, progressive muscle relaxation, etc.? These are all tools that can aid in the fight against ongoing anxiety and have proved tried and true for many as a supplement to help them get through. Most of these skills can be learned through therapy, as can other approaches since as the learning of how your thoughts, feelings, and actions intertwine to perpetuate things like anxiety. Research does show that the ideal approach to managing anxiety (and other mental health woes is through a combination of therapy and medication. So, have you ever attempted to get the support of a therapist in addition to medications? Would it be helpful for me to tell you about some of these behavioral approaches?

In general, how can I best support you - is there a more specific question you can pinpoint that I may be able to address? Or, if you would just like to chat back and forth a bit, I am here for that, too.

-Leah