Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

I suffer from anxiety and panic. I went to a wedding on

I suffer from anxiety...

I suffer from anxiety and panic. I went to a wedding on Friday night and had approx 3-4 glasses of white wine. I woke up on Saturday in the throws of a horrendous panic attack. I had the attacks under control due to daily Effexor. I am now having to take clonazapan every 6-8 hours to keep my head above water.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that seems to make the symptoms better or worse?

Is this because of the alcohol and how long will it take for me to feel better?

Doctor's Assistant: I'm trying to find the right Psychologist for you right now. As soon as they are ready, I will let you know.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the psychologist should know?

I was diagnosed in 2013 and have been dealing with this mental health issue pretty well over the last 4 yrs but this relapse is terrifyinng

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I just want to know when I'll feel better.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is this because I drank?
7/10/2017
LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker

Hi, thank you for writing. I am sorry your anxiety is flaring. The initial panic attack yesterday could have been triggered by the alcohol and recovery but in general, not all panic attacks or even anxiety flare-ups have some blatant cause. It could have been that the alcohol made the Effexor less effective leading to some ramped anxiety but by now, the alcohol is washed out and wouldn't still be impacting. That is a bummer about panic, it can come on out of nowhere and is hard to regulate for this reason. In this case, it has only been a bad couple of days so stay regulated and not worry-bound that this anxiety is going to stay this peaked. It is okay to take the clonazepam for acute panic and pressing anxiety, just try to be thoughtful about your dosing with care about spacing and taking only when really needed so as not to perpetuate dependence, My guess is in a couple of days, this acute phase will pass and you'll feel more grounded again. Try not to let anxiety pull you into the trap of worrying excessively. Think positive!

In addition, here is a link to a blog I wrote about some exercises you can start using asap to help get control, over the way you are feeling and help stop this from happening down the road :)

http://healthblog.uofmhealth.org/wellness-prevention/3-easy-exercises-for-anxiety-relief-you-can-use-anywhere

I am here to chat more if you'd like!

-Leah

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you so much, for your response.

You are welcome. I am here if you need additional help or support. Hang in there!

-Lea

LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's terrifying because I worry I will never feel like myself again but this is how I always feel when I have an extreme attack I always feel better. I just wish I could think logically and get away from the anxiety. Thanks again

Others who have panic and anxiety totally relate to this feeling. I spend a lot of time with clients helping them keep perspective that this will break and things will settle and feel normal again. No worries just a little patience :)

Thank you for the rating!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Leah, I am still feeling pretty anxious.I got another prescription from my dr for more clonazapan to take off the edge. I am really trying to fight through the panic instead of taking the pills. Will I get better quicker if I take the clonazapan for a few days or should I try to fight through the waves of anxiety? I am not sure what to do.I also increased my Effexor from 150 mg to 75 mg how long will it take for this to kick in?